NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Geforce 8600 GT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

i love the new pvrx2 look, but my 6150 card is too slow, especially because i am thinking about upgrading my tv to a 1300x768 lcd during the next months.

I am goning to by a Geforce 8600 GT with 256 MB in silent edition, more specs below:

ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/2DHT, GF8600 GT, 256MB GDDR3, PCIe

2x DVI, TV-out
Chiptakt: 540MHz, Speichertakt: 700MHz • Unified Shader/Pixel-Pipelines: 32@1190MHz, ROPs: 8 • Achtung! Nur 128-bit Speicherinterface • maximaler Verbrauch: 43W (nVidia) • unterstützt HDCP

Does anyone has got experience with this card at high resolutions? Can I expect my pvrx2 running smoothly? And also the video experience?

Thanks,
Dietmar
Hi,
i have an MSI silent heatpipe 8600GT and I'm now very happy with it.
It took some messing about & setting up getting accelerated video decoding to work, you'll need the right version of cyberlink powerdvd to get proper HD acceleration etc, but it's worth the effort.
I'm running my pvr on a samsung screen at 1360x768, dvi->hdmi with no issues.
I have tried the 8600GT on quake wars at 1650x1050 on a different monitor and it performs very well, but if you want games, i think you need a bit more power really.
PVRX2 runs well, a slight improvement from running it -fse mode, my system is a low end core 2 duo with the 8600GT, XP Pro & 1gb of ddr memory.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Rick
Rickos did the resolution pick up automatically, I have a samung 32 LCD but it only picks up 1280x760 rather than 1360x768. If I try to set it manually it says invalid resolution!.
Hi,
I did have to faff a bit, you have to use a specific hdmi port for DVI->HDMI from the card, on my samsung le37r87bdx, it's hdmi 2, set the TV mode to "just scan"
If you use the PC input (vga), or any other hdmi port, it won't let you do 1360x768 resolution on the PC.