NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New features on the MediaMVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The MediaMVP Model 86001 Rev D1 I bought a week ago claims to support DivX.  I have not verified that because I don't have any DivX files.  

However, after installing the 2.2.22202 update, I discovered the MVP can now play my WMA files.  (That's good news for me because I have ripped all my CD's to WMA instead of MP3.)

I don't know how they did it, but I hope earlier models can be upgraded.

Now I'm off to the Wishlist Forum.  [Image: wink.gif]
Sorry to burst your bubble,

All versions can be upgraded to do this, however what is really happening is the new server software from Hauppauge is transcoding the formats using your Computers CPU back to MPEG so the MVP can play it.

Because GBPVR is a replacement server for the MVP, GBPVR would also have to transcode these formats to play them.

Currently this functionality is not built in to GBPVR and would take quite some effort and from what I have read may fall outside of the authors immediate design goals.

So in summary I doubt it is likely in the near future but is neither impossible and with the great work sub has been making on the plugins may be possible via an external plugin at some point (assuming sub doesnt magically implement it).

Regards
Chris
Thanks for clarifying things.  I checked cpu utilization which is negligible when the MVP is playing mp3 files but runs 2-8 percent when playing wma files.  I bet the Hauppauge server works quite a bit harder transcoding DivX.

George
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]I bet the Hauppauge server works quite a bit harder transcoding DivX.
Yes, it'll work the CPU very hard when transcoding a DivX to MPEG in realtime (requires approximately 2Ghz+ machine). It'll also only work with one MVP device at a time when transcoding.
I have a 1.8 Ghz processor and when I play a divx movies, it takes up about 10 to 15% of cpu.

I have noticed that if you rename divx files to have an .mpg extension, GB-PVR will play divx movies. Although, it doesn't work very well on most of my files. Right now, hauppauge software is best for divx movies.
1.8Ghz, 2ghz - you get the general idea. High bitrate DivX files consume much more CPU time than low bitrate.

You're right, if you need to divx playback - stick with the hauppauge software.