NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Video output problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,

Hardware: MSI motherboard with Nvidia 6150 onboard video card, Sony 36" crt TV, S-video cable.

The only settings I get are 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 (I thought there would be more 720 x 576??). Not all of the tv is covered - Can see the edge of the picture and its not straight on the vertical sides

Screen quality is lousy (menu, text from GB-PVR). I know it is worst in windows mode. Just talking about while using GB-PVR and I know its either configuration or the hardware. While playing a recorded show, Live Tv, its fine.

I just installed the latest version of Nividia 163.71

Looking for help to get a better display to make reading the text easier and to use the whole screen.

I took a picture of the screen. Camera on a tri-pod and timer, so I didn't shake the camera.

Does this look right?

[Image: pvr1a.jpg]

any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick
There is some sort of TV output calibration in the forceware drivers for Nvidia I think. (asks you to adjust different picture components until you can see everything correctly)
Also, play with the flicker filter in Nividia - the more filter is on, less flicker obviously, but the sharpness of the image is decreased comparatively.

When you are looking for the resolutions, is this inside the windows display settings, or in the Nvidia control panel?
I think you can go to advanced mode in Nvidia CP, and maybe force some PAL resolutions.

Also, to make it use the whole screen, check for overscan settings, and if they make the screen too big, then you can use the overscan border in config.xml to get the picture correct for the edges of your screen.
If you're in New Jersey, I don't think a PAL resolution is going to help. But, who knows.

My first thought was how high the contrast setting is on the TV. TVs generally come from the factory at 100% contrast when most should be under 50. I just cranked mine up to 100 and the text looked somewhat like that. But, you said Live TV looks fine, (text in Live TV too like a scrolling bar on the news?), so that's probably not it.

To make it reach the edges, you might have an underscan/overscan TV setting on your video card. My ATI has it, although it resets the setting out of nowhere. These ATI 2400/2600 drivers are messed up.

I'm curious in how the picture looks on a monitor. If the text is still ghosty and, more importantly, if the sides aren't straight. At least you know it's the TV-out or the TV set itself then.
Deusxmachina Wrote:If you're in New Jersey, I don't think a PAL resolution is going to help. But, who knows.

My first thought was how high the contrast setting is on the TV. TVs generally come from the factory at 100% contrast when most should be under 50. I just cranked mine up to 100 and the text looked somewhat like that. But, you said Live TV looks fine, (text in Live TV too like a scrolling bar on the news?), so that's probably not it.

To make it reach the edges, you might have an underscan/overscan TV setting on your video card. My ATI has it, although it resets the setting out of nowhere. These ATI 2400/2600 drivers are messed up.

I'm curious in how the picture looks on a monitor. If the text is still ghosty and, more importantly, if the sides aren't straight. At least you know it's the TV-out or the TV set itself then.

Hi Deusxmachina,

The contrast/sharp bar was at 100% I lower it to about 30% it the text was MUCH better.

I still have to work on the under/over scan to use the whole screen.

Thanks

Rick
the easiest way i found to do that was to edit the gbpvr config file
heres the settings that affect how its dipslayed within the config file:
<HorizontalZoom>1.05</HorizontalZoom>
<HorizontalOffset>0</HorizontalOffset>
<VerticalZoom>1.05</VerticalZoom>
<VerticalOffset>0</VerticalOffset>
<!-- overscan control (border size in pixels) -->
<OverScanBorderX1>10</OverScanBorderX1>
<OverScanBorderY1>10</OverScanBorderY1>
<OverScanBorderX2>10</OverScanBorderX2>
<OverScanBorderY2>10</OverScanBorderY2>
<OverScanVideoAlso>true</OverScanVideoAlso>

nvidia are crap at trying to get it to fit crt tv
ati which i have just swapped back to after about 3 years with there new 2400hd card fitted the screen almost perfect with no changes
Rrowan Wrote:I still have to work on the under/over scan to use the whole screen.

I also have the 6150 and experience the same underscan problem. In the nVidia control panel you can shrink or enlarge the output, but you cannot change the width and height independently. In my case that means that I have to live with black bars on the top and the bottom, or with cropped left and right parts. If you choose the latter, then you could use GBPVR's <OverScanBorder...> settings not to use the cropped parts of the screen.

Another thing you might try is to use a component cable if your TV supports it. In my case that gave me some more 'height' in the output. Signal quality also improved.
Thanks hzwaal and stustunz

The display is better. Thanks for your help

Rick