NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Controller Redirection?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not directly related to the plugin, but thought maybe someone in here would have some input.

Is there anyone here who successfully has used a controller on a remote machine with any of the emulators that Game Zone supports? I've got 2 wired USB controllers. Really simple ones, no analog stick or anything. I keep the box that I run GBPVR on in my basement, and have run AV cords to the living room entertainment center. I'd love to run GameZone using these controllers, but the wired USB is a problem. It's too long of a run for non-buffered USB. I have a wireless laptop that I keep in the same room as the entertainment center. Is there anyway that i can plug the controllers into the laptop, and redirect their output to the box that's running GBPVR?
My thought are that even if you found a utillity that would do this, a wireless network connection would not be suitable for the response required to play many games.

why are you not just running the emulator on the laptop?
As idkpmiller says I think even if you could get this to work I think you would suffer with a bit of latency

I think it would be much simpler to run the games on the laptop and output the laptop's video to the tv...
I'm not running the emulator on the laptop because of clutter reasons. I like having the single interface on the entertainment center. And having a few people over and playing old NES 4 player games around a laptop isn't nearly as much fun as putting up on the TV. A little more authentic...not that it really matters.

I was messing around with this the last night and think I might be on to something to get it to work, for anyone who would be interested. I'm using "AutoHotKey" combined with "TightVNC". I made a script for AutoHotKey that maps all of the old controllers to keystrokes, then setup tightvnc to not display anything from the pvr pc, and just stream the mouse/key output from the laptop to PVRX2 window. I'm hoping stripping down the communications on TightVNC will take care of any excessive latency. Didn't finish everything up last night but I was making good progress.