NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Connecting HTPC to HD CRT TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm about to go crazy trying to connect my newly built HTPC to my old Sony HD ready CRT tv (model: KV-34HS420)... HELP would be highly appreciated.

HTPC cofig:
Gigabyte G33-S2H motherboard w/ HDMI, DVI, & VGA output
Hauppauge PVR 150MCE
Intel 6550 w/ 2GB memory
NVidia Purevideo drivers
Windows OS

TV Input: HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite, Coaxial

First I tried HDMI -> HDMI - picture showed up really small, flickering, and unreadable, I guess due to overscan issues?
Then I tried DVI -> HDMI, same results as above.
Then DVI -> Component - Got NO signal.

My goal is to use the TV as desktop w/Windows and GBPVR for TV/media.

What do I have to do to make this setup work? VGA to component?
This is a CRT TV.
On my CRT TV I had to set the video card's refresh rate at 30hz or I can't get a picture using the component inputs.

I realize these are analog inputs vs. digital, but it still uses CRT so maybe this is the issue?
What resolution are you running? Try setting it to a near 720p resolution like 1168x704 (or something like that). That TV upconverts 720 progressive to 1080 interlaced so it may not looke any better. Interlaced is HORRIBLE for desktop and standard windows fonts (like internet browsing). GB-PVR may look ok though.
on the older nvidia drivers you could select treat tv as HD display that changed a few things automatically for you sometimes helped every tv does different things and so does every driver
so its a matter of finding the right driver/ settings combo
i would keep trying with the hdmi/dvi there is no difference really in the way the card sees the tv so changing between them wont give you any gain
there should also be a setting in your config that lets you select how you are connected whurlston says its a 1080i so select that if you can then the screen should be all good if not then go into the overscan underscan and have a play in there it should be able toi be resizesd to fit
the flickering is normally an indication that the tv is not happy with the frequency/resolution you are trying to send it