NextPVR Forums

Full Version: FAQ - we should update it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While fixing some wiki stuff today I wondered why we didn't have an FAQ. A little browsing showed we do but it hadn't been updated in awhile and was the last link on the wiki menu.

So, I copied that link so its up near the top and I started adding FAQs. I think we should really put the common support problems there and hopefully start referencing the FAQ more often.

I've added the following "FAQs" today:
  • How do I access web scheduling? (EWA)
  • How do I setup a tv guide?
  • Where did the channel numbers go in the TV guide/How can I display channel numbers?
  • What is the PsiParser.ax error message, I see it during install?

Skimming showed those to be some common questions that have popped up recently. I figure after versions change we can add/remove from the FAQ to keep it useful.

Join the fun: http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FAQ/FAQ or post suggestions for questions.
Sounds like a good idea. Here are a few off the top of my head:
-What is the difference between PVRX2.exe and GBPVR.exe?
-Why isn't my tuner supported by GBPVR?
-I have a hardware encoder/BDA card, how do I get GBPVR to support it?
-What is a client PC?
-How do I set up GBPVR to be a client?
-What's this icon that was put into my tray?
-What is schedules direct?

We would then provide links as required to other pages in the wiki.
HTPCGB Wrote:Sounds like a good idea. Here are a few off the top of my head:
-What is the difference between PVRX2.exe and GBPVR.exe?
-Why isn't my tuner supported by GBPVR?
-I have a hardware encoder/BDA card, how do I get GBPVR to support it?
-What is a client PC?
-How do I set up GBPVR to be a client?
-What's this icon that was put into my tray?
-What is schedules direct?

It don't just sound like a good idea - it is one... Big Grin

But, IMHO the problem with FAQs is keeping them up to date - FAQs need to be very general in nature with simple answers (and links to the main documentation source - wiki) so that users can find the latest info. The problem then rests with the wiki - more members need to be willing (and be able :confused: ) to contribute to keep it up to date - the moderators can't be expected to do everything... except then someone needs to monitor the wiki...:eek:

Alex
ACTCMS Wrote:more members need to be willing (and be able :confused: ) to contribute to keep it up to date

To be "able", see the contact page on the wiki.

Additional information is on the Read Me First Page
HTPCGB Wrote:Sounds like a good idea. Here are a few off the top of my head:

I added two of them to the FAQ (gbpvr and pvrx2 and SD) but I don't know the answers to others (client PCs) and I don't know how to answer the tuner question. It was easy when it was just "it doesn't have a hardware encoder" but now with all these digital cards it could be:
you're not doing it right
its not supported yet
get the bda drivers
digital will work but not analog

etc.
-Oz- Wrote:I added two of them to the FAQ (gbpvr and pvrx2 and SD) but I don't know the answers to others (client PCs) and I don't know how to answer the tuner question. It was easy when it was just "it doesn't have a hardware encoder" but now with all these digital cards it could be:
you're not doing it right
its not supported yet
get the bda drivers
digital will work but not analog

etc.

Although its a bit buried away, theres a page that makes a good stab at that. Maybe we need to move it into the lights a bit more...
[URL="http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Hardware/AddCaptureCard"]
Adding an unsupported card[/URL]
The whole problem with the Wiki is that most people hit the forums before they find the wiki, so they ask the same questions.

How about a sticky with a link to the Wiki FAQ in the support forum - hopefully people might read it first time.

Cheers
JonnyCam Wrote:The whole problem with the Wiki is that most people hit the forums before they find the wiki, so they ask the same questions.

How about a sticky with a link to the Wiki FAQ in the support forum - hopefully people might read it first time.

Cheers

I'll request sub add it but I'd like to get the FAQ a bit more refined first.

EDIT: I spent some time this morning updating the capture card pages to at least include the newly popular cards (1600,1800, m780, hdhomerun) then I added the tuner questions to the FAQ and linked to those pages. I really feel they are not up to date at all though.
I started writing a networking page for the FAQ.

Although we should emphasize the usage of the FAQ before asking for help, I'm hoping that we don't end up like the MythTv forums with all their RTFM flamers. Tolerance for newbies is one of the things that makes this forum a great place.
HTPCGB Wrote:Although we should emphasize the usage of the FAQ before asking for help, I'm hoping that we don't end up like the MythTv forums with all their RTFM flamers. Tolerance for newbies is one of the things that makes this forum a great place.
I agree with the above. It isn't just tolerance of newbies, but also of repeat questions and no know-it-alls that put people down that don't know better. This is a much friendlier place than most forums period.

Back to original topic - Yes a Wiki update was needed. I had been wanting to do the same ever since I posted the Wikipedia thread. We need someone to make the Wiki in other languages too. Of course, I am hoping for one in Spanish.

Sub, can you add a link to the Wiki at the bottom of this site?
Pages: 1 2