NextPVR Forums

Full Version: mvp not working!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, just come across this forum looking to cure problem with my mvp i`ve just bought and was hoping for somw advice please. Can anybody tell me if i do in fact need a crossover cat 5 cable between my mvp and p.c instead of a straight through cable? I have no hub/router and am connecting the mvp directly to my p.c,(asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard/built in 3com and n/vidia l.a.) I would greatly appreciate any help/advice as i`m sick of it already [Image: rock.gif] [Image: laugh.gif] thanks very much
I'm not an expert in this, and havn't tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure you would need a crossover cable if you connecting directory from your PCs NIC socket to the MVP.
you definately would need a crossover cable to connect this device directly to your PC's Network interface.
thanks for the replys chaps, i`ll be off to but one tomorrow!!
Thought it was dodgy, thanks again, cheers [Image: smile.gif]

Yep defintely crossover, it says in the Instructions and on the box!

I need to get one too, I gave mine away when I got rid on my XBox. I never thought I'd need it again.
Beware:

It seems that the MVP doesn't like all types of network and cross cables. Also, cable lengths of more than 10 meters can be a problem when you use el-cheapo :-) cables.
So: buy a good one!

More particular (for the network experts ;-)): Do not us UTP cable with solid cores (wall) with RJ45 connectors on it, but use a good patch cable! Use solid core UTP only for in-wall use between patch panels and RJ45 wall outlets.
Hi again chaps! Well went and bought cat5e crossover cable today and duly plugged it in and still no go on the mvp!! When i plug in the cable information is being sent out but none is being sent back. The mvp welcome screen on the t.v shows the five bars which should fill up blue when ready but only goes to 2 bars full then freezes or goes back to one bar full, also "searching for pc server" message does not come up at-all on the t.v. I have tries three different versions of mvp software plus the gbpvr version all to no avail. Anybody have any ideas please!! Very infuriating [Image: mad.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: smile.gif]
You also need to provide a DHCP server for the MVP. This is the first step when the MVP fires up, it get an IP address for your network for the MVP. Then it looks for MVP server, as is the GB-PVR, to connect to. The MVP does not have a static IP options as far as I know.
thanks for your time everyone,took it back as was found to be faulty, no more in stock either [Image: sad.gif] thanks again