NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP stutters when viewing recordings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You'll see my server specs below.

The MVP sits upstairs. For a while, it was working great, but now, when I go to watch a recorded show (that works great on the server) I get:
1 second of video,
2 seconds of pause

This, obviously, makes viewing uncomfortable. (Though you could do it...)

I'm wondering if others have seen this, and what might be causing it.

After a few thoughts from the community, I'll propose my thoughts, but I don't want to bias anybody.
Are you streaming this over wireless?

I had similar performance when I moved my computer and the wireless connection then had to travel through the kitchen. I was able to get rid of the stutter by lowering the recording bitrate. I think I lowered it to 3500kbps.

Also, I never had much success with the Hauppauge dongle and switched to MVPMC which works much better for me.
My thoughts is that you are trying to solve an individual problems with general concepts but I am interested in hearing your thoughts, I will elaborate on mine.

First, I am confident that I could could walk into any local store and buy a recently off-lease re-imaged machine for $200-250, update the OS to the latest patch level install GBPVR and the MVP will work just fine

I feel this because I have found no specific problem with pvrx2, with 100Mb networking on XP, 2000 or Vista, or with reasonable dongles, including the supplied Hauppauge (non-Vista) or mvpmc (all platforms). The network card in the MVP is a bottleneck but at SD TV quality it shouldn't be a problem on any properly setup network. The priority on optimizing and tweaking networking have been way too high when frankly with any recent hardware it can work. This tweaking is all so 10 Mb.

That being said there will be occasional hiccups, but PC's (the mvp included) are still not appliances. The STB from my cableco reboots on occasion, and losses programming. The first thing they do on a trouble call is send a remote reset.

Indigest answer is very appropriate. Today's Wifi will not meet everyone's expectations for video, but it still will work just fine in some people's environment. It would always be my first suspect.

Bitrate is also important you have to find what works for you. I cannot get the 11Mbs throughput that some people say they have achieved on the mvp, but that is overkill for me.

To troubleshoot this stutter, better than guessing (or making us guess) provide logs and explain what your doing that might cause the problem. Explain what other apps are running on the server, virus scanning, firewalls, games!, Think about your plugins and skins and the source of the file from your capture card or the Internet.

That's about it except for things like router firmware, broken cables and other faults that can't be diagnosed. Also keep track of what you install and uninstall too no one else will.

Martin
Quote:
The network card in the MVP is a bottleneck

Interesting. I pulled a wire through the wall (almost pulled it apart, it was so tight), so now have wired rather than wireless connection.

Any way to modify / replace the Network Card :-) ....

k.
jksmurf Wrote:Any way to modify / replace the Network Card :-).

Sorry I meant to say network chip It's the one labeled smsc and you can see it http://www.dforsyth.net/mvp/hardware.html so I guess replacement depends on your wife's SMT soldering skills. No upgrades though. It probably would be possible to update the wMVP to another compact flash wired or wireless card but that needs a custom kernel.

I'd still take wired on this chip over a wireless connection at least 802.11b/g.

Martin
No way she'd consider resoldering that ... :-)

Might wait for one of those fancy headless thingies.... with the new chips... like in the MVP Successor thread...

k.
Okay... you can see part of my issue in here:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=30117

Here's my network (a text diagram)

Cable Modem
|
| (Wired)
V
WAN PORT on
Motorola VOIP Router (Hopefully dropped soon) ---Wired---> Web Server
|
| (Wired)
V
STANDARD PORT on
D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router ---Wired---> Media Server w/ Tuners
| ---Wireless---> Client PC
|
| (Wireless)
V
ZyXEL P-330W Wireless Gateway
|
| (Wired)
V
MVP in bedroom

Tonight or tomorrow I hope to upgrade the Firmware on the D-Link. The ZyXEL is up to it's most current version. The Motorola get's pushed it's Firmware by my VOIP provider. (Did I mention I hate that?)

Note: The connection from the motorola to the D-Link uses the standard ports, NOT THE WAN PORTS. (Motorola uses the WAN port to the cable modem)

The MVP plugs into a standard port.

DHCP is turned OFF on all but the Motorola. However, I have Static IPs for all my devices, including the other routers.

I know multiple routers, especially from different vendors, is a headache... believe me, trying to remember the configs for them is hard.
I have two D-Links, and I like them, but they won't work in a bridge. I rent, so running cables to the MVP is not an option.

I do believe there is something fishy going on in the routing, especially since this worked perfectly when I first set it up.
Also, the skipping happens when the Server is idling.
Have you done the throughput test from the PC to the MVP? I suspect the wireless network can't support enough throughput, since that is the weakest point in your setup. You can scan with netstumbler and see what competing networks there are and what the cleanest channel is. If your wireless network is the bottleneck, you can try to drop the recording bitrate to scrape by on reduced throughput. You can also set up a wireless bridge to boost the signal if there is a specific obstacle (microwave, refrigerator, etc..), although this will cut your maximum wireless throughput by half. And, of course, you can always try 802.11a on 5GHz or 802.11n to improve your throughput.

Since you mentioned that this used to work well, is it possible that another wireless network was set up by a neighbor that is now interfering with yours?
Check throughput? That is done with netstumbler? (Sorry if I'm mistaken.)
Pages: 1 2 3