NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Look to switch from MythTV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi everyone I'm looking into using gbpvr and replacing MythTV, the only reason really is because I need my MediaMVP to fast forward faster then 2x and I wanted to know if this is possible using the software included in gbpvr? And also how stable is gbpvr? As I love my MythTV setup very much it just is lacking on the support for my 2 MeidaMVPs.

All comments are welcome!

Thanks for your help,
Blue
Hi
Not sure if this is what you mean but you can choose the number of minutes you want to skip forward or back by typing in the number of minutes on the remote keypad and then pressing skip forward or back. If you want fast forward with the picture playing I'm not the right person to be answering your question.
I've been using GBPVR for the last few months and found it to be very stable.
HTH
Rightmark
Hi, the current version seems to have temporarily lost the fast forward facility - it does however have skip forward (and back) in two userdefinable increments. You can also skip user entered amounts i.e. 6 0 skip goes forward 60 minutes.

My server has been up for weeks now, I tell a lie, It's been into standby and back, but not needing a reboot. I find gbpvr exceptionally stable. I couldn't live without my MVPs now.

Martin
I'm not look really for skipping as the solution I have right now which is using a MythTV server and the MediaMVP running the MVPMC software gives me the availability to to skip by 30 seconds, 1 minutes, or to a percent of the video file (IE 10%, 20%, and so on and so forth) Is what I need is fast forward like on a VCR or a DVD player where you have things like 2x speed 4x speed and so on... really I think 4x speed would be good enough but the 2x which is what I currently have is painfully slow.

Thanks,
Blue
If you have a Windows machine, I'd install GBPVR and compare it for yourself. GBPVR does offer a faster FF then the hardware mode in the mvp. This is controlled by the server and MythTV doesn't have a comparable function. I figure a download, install, and test of a previously recorded mpeg could easily be done in under ten minutes.

Since you are already running mvpmc it makes it even easier. Make sure you are running the latest nightly and add --emulate ? to your command line which add the option to talk to gbpvr. That way you can go back and fourth.

I am part of the mvpmc project and for simplicity I prefer GBPVR but for stability I find them nearly identical. Where GBPVR excels is with on-the-fly transcoding on non-mpeg content.

Martin
mvallevand I saw some of your responses today on the mailing list for mvpmc, so are you saying that with GBPVR on a MVP I will see a faster fast forward?
It's not a "smooth" fast forward like the hardware accelerated speed up, but it is much faster. With mvpmc you can even compare them in emulation mode the FF is the GBPVR version and Go FF is the mvpmc native FF.

Martin
I will have to try that... thanks for the help now I just need to try and find another hard drive to setup GB-PVR so I don't have to trash my MythTV install for testing. Last question is does GB-PVR have its own dongle file or does it use the mvpmc dongle?

Thanks for all the information!
Blue
blue_sassley Wrote:I will have to try that... thanks for the help now I just need to try and find another hard drive to setup GB-PVR so I don't have to trash my MythTV install for testing. Last question is does GB-PVR have its own dongle file or does it use the mvpmc dongle?

Thanks for all the information!
Blue

It doesn't matter. If mvpmc is already loaded for use with MythTV and you have the emulation mode option enabled, the mvp won't need to reload a new dongle to try GBPVR.

Martin
So your just saying setup a GBPVR server and enable emulation mode on the MVP?

Blue
Pages: 1 2 3 4