NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Nova-t
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Some advice please...

I've currently got a NOVA-T card single tunner, but I would like to record two channels at the same time, so I can either get a NOVA 500 or another NOVA-T!

What are the disadvantages for running 2 single NOVA-Ts instead of the DUAL tunner card?

Thx

Richard
You need a cable splitter which will lose some signal unless it is an amplifying splitter. Also an extra slot lost.

Martin
Thx for the reply,

Would there be much signal loss without an amp, if I have a good signal?
Theory says that a splitter will knock the signal down by 3db - half of what was there before. So I guess it depends on how much was there before.
I managed to split my signal 4 ways to feed 2 analogue cards and two Nova-T cards. I've now got an 8-way powered splitter (6 cap. cards, one output for FM and the last to feed to TV/STB/Video downstairs.

Whether you use 2x Nova-Ts or keep your Nova-T and add a Nova-T 500 (you know you REALLY want three tuners - huh? huh? Big Grin), you'll still need to split once anyway. Try it out with a passive 'Y' or 'T' splitter first - they're only about a quid or so. If it causes problems then by a powered splitter.

As for the way to go, I'd probably recommend adding a Nova-T 500. If they'd been around when I started on the digital route a couple of years ago, I would've bought a couple of them instead of 4 Nova-T 90002 cards.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Brian
There is a nice utility for checking your signal strength/quality, especially if you are using a splitter. You can find it here.