NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can't access shared folder with MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a networked pc with videos I'd like to try viewing via wired MVP. I've set up the shared recordings directory in config & it shows up on the MVP Video Libray menu but won't open the folder. I can, however, open the directory and view the videos when running PVRX2 on the MVP server. If I can access them from the server, shouldn't I be able to access them from the MVP? I've tried both the default donge and MVPMC. I could understand if the videos wouldn't run well since the data would be moving over the network from the shared PC to the Server to the MVP all at the same time, but I can't even open the directory to test it.

It's probably something simple, but I'm stumped. I am prepared to be humbled.
Remember the recording service, which runs the MVP Servers, runs as a different user account so wont see any drive mappings you might have set up.
Hmm. So the server can access the shared directory but not the MVP?

Can that be changed? The recording service is currently running as a local system account.

The PC in question is in my basement office and is primarily used as a business machine. I put a PVR150 in it so I could record something while the MVP server in the family room (HVR1600) is recording something else for my wife.

If I can't access the PVR150 recordings from the MVP through the network, could I use a post processing batch file or other method to automatically copy them over to the server? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And before anyone else suggests it, I suppose I move my wife to the basement, but that ain't gonna happen.

This software & forum is the best! I can post day or night and get an answer or suggestion within minutes from the developer himself or an (almost)equally knowledgeable user.
gms Wrote:is the best! I can post day or night and get an answer or suggestion within minutes from the developer himself or an (almost)equally knowledgeable user.

That's because sub hasn't slept in four years. That's the only way I figure he could have written 40k messages and GBPVR and still had a life.

For your share it is more a question of permissions by default the pvrx2 in mvp mode is running at at difference user level. I suggest using the \\drive\\sharename format for the folder and not a drive letter and changing the permissions of the recording service to those that you are enforcing on the share.

Martin
I've not personally used network shares from the MVP, but lots others do, so if you do a forum search you'll find other posts that give details.

From memory you can either change the user account used for running the recording service, or use UNC paths instead of drive letters.
mvallevand Wrote:That's because sub hasn't slept in four years. That's the only way I figure he could have written 40k messages and GBPVR and still had a life.
lol - I dont like to think about the time I've lost into this project Big Grin
I had a similar problem with my virtual machine shares which I could not access from the MVP. This post helped:

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...ork+drives

Specifically post #4

Sheepz
Sub was right. I found a Hauppauge faq on setting up the mvp services to log on to a user account & applied the instructions to the gbpvr recording service. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/suppo...vp.html#11

All is good.