NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Convoluted mvp re-start after pc reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

I've been having this problem since I first installed gbpvr, so I just thought I'd ask. If I reboot my pc, then my MVP won't find the server again unless I do the following. I have to unplug the MVP. Then I have to go to my PC and start the gbpvr config app. Then I have to switch from my dongle (which is dongle_30_24088.bin) to some other dongle. Then I hit O.K. to exit "config" (here is why it is a pain, because it interrupts the recording service if it is recording). Then I open config again, switch back to my original dongle, and hit "O.K." again. Then I go back and plug in the MVP. After a couple of tries, it loads.

If I just hard boot the MVP by unplugging it, without doing the dongle switch and switch-back, then it won't load gbpvr on the MVP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
bertros
The things I would check based on the limited information you provided.

1. Make sure you are using 1.1.5 of GBPVR it is the most stable mvp server. If you aren't running 1.15 what verison are you running?
2. Make sure you have properly set up your firewall(s), disable it to confirm.
3. Don't use this old dongle with any new version of GBPVR
4. Enable the autostart of at least on mvp server via config.exe
5. If you aren't using a wired router explain more information about your network.

Martin
mvallevand, thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running v1.0.16, but this exact situation has been present since I first started using gbpvr a couple of years ago and hasn't changed through a couple of upgrades.

I've checked Zonealarm, and it seems properly configured.

As to my choice of dongles, it was picked by trial and error about a year and a half ago and seemed to be the only one that worked well with my particular version of MVP (which is a Rev H2). Should I try the dongle that comes with the newer versions of gbpvr? Are there other dongle sources that I should look at? I got this one from JKSmurf on these forums.

Autostart of the MVP server is enabled.

My network is wired. A RT31P2 Lynksys router (comes with Vonage).

I'm just curious if anyone out there might know why manually changing dongles fixes the problem each time. What happens when you do that that is different from the original dongle just being left alone after your PC reboots?
I find that part of it perplexing.

Thanks again,
bertros (if you can't tell, with limited computer expertise)
bertros,

Please enable log flushing in config.exe and unplug your mvp and plug it back in and then upload all your mvp logs. I have some ideas on what causes this. Please use the dongle that comes with GBPVR and turn off ZoneAlarm and the Windows firewall.

Martin
Here is the log if I just switched to the updated dongle and plugged in the MVP. Seemed to load O.K. Did not test the stability of the dongle by trying to watch any shows.
Here are the logs if I rebooted my PC, but did not unplug the MVP, just pressed power on. GBPVR would not load on the MVP, and it just kept saying "contacting server."
Here is what happened if I then unplugged and replugged the MVP. Still wouldn't load gbpvr, still kept saying "contacting server."
Finally, here is what happened when I tried my trick of opening config.exe, changing to another dongle, then closing and reopening config.exe and changing back to the original dongle. Then plugging in the MVP, gbprv then loaded.
I'm guessing its something to do with this:
Quote:2007-11-29 13:50:07.225 ERROR [3] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The system detected an invalid pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument in a call
at System.Net.Dns.GetHostName()
Unfortunately I'm not sure what the cause of this is. I've not seen it before.
I have a feeling that you have set your DHCP to set ip automatically for your GBPVR/MVP server. It might be that when you restart your PC, it gets a new IP, and your MVP is looking for the old IP address. You might want to try to have a static ip for your GBPVR/MVP server.
Pages: 1 2