NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP locks up on "Live TV"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is a newish MVP setup I'm just getting to grips with. It plays back mp3s, avis, and TV recordings fine. It also does slide shows of jpgs OK.

Live TV is another matter. The MVP will lock up when I select watch live TV from the menu (sometimes locks while still displaying the menu) sometimes a few seconds into the programme. When it locks up, it locks up solid. Only pulling the power plug gets it back. It won't respond to the remote control at all. (Watching live TV on the GBPVR PC is fine btw)

Anyone got any ideas what I should check?

Also although avis play back OK via the MVP, GBPVR on the PC complains with "Error:Failure playing back file". What's the problem here?

I'm running GBPVR 1.0.16 with the latest Hauppauge MVP sw on a PIII 1G PC
Reproduce the problem then zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look.
OK sub. Here you are. I've zipped up everything that was in the "logs" folder as I'm not sure what you wanted. Do you need every log?
I've done a bit more monitoring and my cpu usage seems to be higher when watching live TV on the PC than when I am streaming to the MVP. Is this right? (I'm using the Cyberlink 5.0.0.1307 mux)

CPU usage hovers around 50% when I watch on the PC and this is trouble free. On the other hand, CPU usage is less than 25% when watching in the other room via the MVP but it often has "blocky" playback of fast moving parts of the picture and it always locks up eventually. Sometimes I can get back to the menu on the MVP but sometimes I have to pull the power plug.
fausto Wrote:This is a newish MVP setup I'm just getting to grips with. It plays back mp3s, avis, and TV recordings fine. It also does slide shows of jpgs OK.

Live TV is another matter. The MVP will lock up when I select watch live TV from the menu (sometimes locks while still displaying the menu) sometimes a few seconds into the programme. When it locks up, it locks up solid. Only pulling the power plug gets it back. It won't respond to the remote control at all. (Watching live TV on the GBPVR PC is fine btw)
This sounds like the sort of thing I would have expected to see in an error in the logs, but the logs fine and show no sign of the problem causing this.

Sorry, I'm not really sure.
fausto Wrote:I've done a bit more monitoring and my cpu usage seems to be higher when watching live TV on the PC than when I am streaming to the MVP. Is this right? (I'm using the Cyberlink 5.0.0.1307 mux)
Yeah, thats normal. The MVP is doing the decoder, which means the PC doesnt need to do it.
fausto Wrote:The MVP will lock up when I select watch live TV from the menu...I'm running...on a PIII 1G PC

I believe your system is under powered for supporting an MVP. I know I saw a difference when running a MediaMVP against an Athlon 850 versus either an AthlonXP 1700+ or AthlonXP 2000+. Even when using an Athlon 2000+, I can still have a problem selecting "LiveTV" if I try to select it right after starting the MediaMVP. If I let the MediaMVP settle in for 15 or 20 seconds on just the menu, I can then select "LiveTV" and it works. Selecting "Recordings" immediately after the MediaMVP starts works fine, but that is probably less (server) CPU intensive than sending a video stream.
prouton Wrote:I believe your system is under powered for supporting an MVP.

Hmmm. How do you reconcile this theory with Task Manager reporting less than 25% CPU usage when viewing via the MVP?
Sub, can you explain the difference in processing between watching live TV and viewing a TV recording (both via an MVP)? What is happening where? Are there different mpeg decoders available for the MVP? Is there a particular mux which is known to work well with the (std Hauppague?) MVP decoder? Was that last question sensible?
This thread appears to be related to my MVP playback problem; http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...pmc&page=4

mvallevand Wrote:Your issue most likely is that your network can't keep up with the your recording size. I suspected this from the moment you said AVI's work which is because the default ffmpeg transcoding makes smaller files. I figured mvpmc would do what you are seeing now. You can confirm this by renaming one of your mpeg recordings to avi and see if it plays.

Mvallevand, if you're around, can you explian more fully please? How can network speed (100M/s) be an issue? Is the MVPMC sw better or worse than the Hauppauge for playing back Live TV? Is avi an mpeg variant?
Pages: 1 2 3