NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP and Wireless Connection Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to setup a 2nd MVP in my house using wireless and I'm having connection issues. I've currently got an MVP that I'm using upstairs in my house that connects wirelessly the same way I'm trying to set this one up. To extend the range of my wireless network I put an access point downstairs that talks to my wireless router upstairs. The wireless is 802.11g. I have a wireless gaming adaptor plugged into my MVP that talks to the access point. The MVP gets stuck trying to locate the MPVServer. I've been able to see it connect a handfull of times and have even played a video on it two or three times. Is there some sort of timeout that anyone knows of that I could extend in GBPVR or the MVP that may help this issue? I'm wondering if the server is just not responding quickly enough. I've hooked up my laptop to the gaming adaptor and am able to get to the internet and even VNC into the PVR server, so I know I"m still getting connected to the network through this setup.
pbb Wrote:I'm trying to setup a 2nd MVP in my house using wireless and I'm having connection issues.

Kinda sorta the same problem here too but with wired.

I have 2 wired MVP's. I've set up 3 MVP server instances via the config tool. It seems that the first one to boot gets in and the other one doesn't. I can flip-flop this back and forth between the 2 devices by turning the working one off and rebooting the non working one which then mysteriously works.

Obviously this is not a FW problem as 1) at least one mvp connects in and 2) I've turned off the firewall feature.

This is causing me some hair loss as I just don't see what's wrong.

I did read in the forum that the weather plugin can cause system load issues and so I dumped that as to did I dump the MVPscreen thingy (although it's still evidenced in my config.xml file).

I've done the network tweaks per the wiki FAQ and I also did the <MVPLoadEarlier> thing as well.

And it was all going so well
Make certain that you haven't restricted the number of IP addresses that your router (or DHCP server) can assign. If there is only a single address available, then the first MVP to boot will get it. Sad I can't think of anything else offhand that would cause the 2nd MVP not to connect.
HarryH3 Wrote:Make certain that you haven't restricted the number of IP addresses that your router (or DHCP server) can assign.

Nah. This aint it.

Firstly I use m0n0wall and so am very familiar with such things. Big Grin

Secondly, when running the factory supplied software both servers can connect to the GBPVR machine and indeed "see" into the shared file areas etc.
Unfortunately because only the first connnection is logged this is difficult to diagnose. Since you seem to know what you are doing, if you do try
netstat -noa do you see TCP ports 5906, 8337 on one PID and 5907/8338 on another, with UDP port 16881 open on the unconnected PID?

If not maybe you have something like vlc open on 5906.

Martin
I'll check the ports on my machine too. I might try starting up 2 servers again and see if that made a difference. I had 2 running when I started down this road, but then decided that I would only have one mvp running at a time.
mvallevand Wrote:netstat -noa do you see TCP ports 5906, 8337 on one PID and 5907/8338 on another, with UDP port 16881 open on the unconnected PID?

If not maybe you have something like vlc open on 5906.

No VLC but do have VNC on port 5900. I moved that to port 6900 just to be sure but still the same result. I did confirm that the above ports were open and connected.

I have a feeling that it's something I've done but I don't know what. I'm pretty sure I have had it going (getting confused about the testing:confusedSmile with 2 MVPs and then I did something like add a feature/plugin.

Mark
You should post your GBPVR logs maybe there is something there. I did mean VNC, I do that every time.

Martin.
Attached are the logs. I see that the server is listening on ports 5906 and 8337 as expected. I don't see anything that says something has connected to it.

Netstat -noa shows 1 mvp device "established". When I reboot them both at the same time I do see 2 MVP's "established". The second one connects on ports 5910 and 8344. This connection then fails after about 30 seconds.Sad

Oddly though they both are able to download the dongle.bin file after a hard reboot which tells me that at least the tftp aspect is working properly.

I think I'm gonna disable VNC entirely and see what happens then.

Mark
NI20 I don't even see any MVP logs in the zip. Could you enable log flushing and try again.

Martin
Pages: 1 2