NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Aerials ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Setting up a PVR box and for various reasons I have 6 DVB tuners - 2 Dual and 2 Single, one of which has a pass through (WinFast 1000T).

I also have an external aerial on the roof which gives good reception - picks up all digital FTA channels at 80 - 90% Strength/Quality

I figure I'll need at least two splitters - will I have problems with degrading the signal? is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks - Lindsay
Splitters with built-in boosters exist. Try finding one (or two) of those. I have one that splits the signal into 4, and can boost the signal with about +20dB. It was not too expensive, about US$ 40.
I installed a new external aerial about 6 months ago. I run it through a four-way powered splitter to feed 3 STBs and one Nova-T 500. Works fine.

At the weekend I installed another Nova-T 500 - to feed it I used one of these passive Y splitters to split the existing Nova-T 500 feed into two. I used ScanChannelsBDA on all four tuners and get strength about 70 and quality 100 on them all.

So powered splitters do work - guess it just depends on the quality of the signal you get from your aerial to start with.
I use a splitter/booster with gain control. You can boost the signal too much which causes corruption, so get one with gain control so you can adjust.
Thanks guys - powered splitters, are they a specialty item or could I pick them in a hobby shop?
Dick Smiths would probably sell them, jaycar (I think you have that as well), Strathfields.

They may not have 3 way or 4 way splitters though maybe only two way.
I got a six way amp/splitter with gain control from ebay (UK) ISTR it was 6 UKP, so very cheap. I have it in the loft/attic to reduce cable loss and feeds down from there.
Thanks