NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVPMC Benefits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are the benefits of using this dongle over the gbpvr interface on the MVP? Is there any added functionality?
You will still see GBPVR in all its glory. What you WON'T see is the Hauppauge blue screen as the MVP boots. I've found that my MVP's are way more stable using mvpmc than they ever were when using the Hauppauge dongle.

Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to install and try it out. Smile
If you are 100% happy with the Hauppauge dongle, the MediaMVP, and combined with GBPVR your media extender needs are met, there is no advantage. However you aren't completely satisfied and if you want to participate in community focused on improving this experience, I think you might consider mvpmc.

When sub opened this forum, my prime goal was to see if I could emulate what the Hauppauge dongle did and run GBPVR properly. With the input of a lot of people and probably a few upset wives along the way, and I think it is pretty close now. There are some minor advantages to mvpmc, I think the demuxer is better, the wss can be nice, and although it doesn't currently work having AC3 audio could be a future bonus. Some people have have said that mvpmc is more stable than the Hauppauge dongle, but I don't go that far but I am commited to improving it if others are.

When I started I also indicated that there was another goal and that was to potentially port mvpmc to alternate platforms. A few months ago I had proof of concept emulation mode code on an ROKU HD 1000 streaming an HD mpeg so it is definitely possible. The availability of newer devices like the Popcornhour A 100 now makes this feature potentially more accesible to a much wider set of users. If nothing else I think there is a baseline for something workable in the future. Otherwise I think some of you might be thinking about abandoning GBPVR and if I have kept you from Windows Media Centre, DVR-MS and the xbox360 or delayed you from buying another product like STV I'd be very happy.

What do I personally think is an advantage to mvpmc? GBPVR is great as a PVR, but I also like to use mvpmc with my PC off. This is how I listen to my audio collection from my two NAS drivers and also how I listen to internet radio. I also appreciate the native FLAC audio support. One thing I really appreciate that doesn't get mentionned enough, is that with mvpmc you typically only have to reload the dongle when you want to. I really hated turning on the MVP and wondering what was happening when all those stupid updates on the screen were going on.

Martin

1. It just WORKS and is stable. No reboots.
  2. If you're lazy like me, it allows you to turn it off (but not on) from upstairs remotely, if you've left it on.
  3. It can be used with GHOST to send alternative keystrokes (Go-Green e.g.) to toggle a setting on your Set Top Box (NICAM, in my case, so that I can change language).
  4. You can configure it to auto-start to a certain IP Address (this you can do with the Hauppauge Dongle too), but with certain additional Preset Parameters, like Volume.
  5. It might do AC3 one day.
  6. Martin's great.
k.

See also http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24365
Wake on LAN is really one of the key benefits fore me. It brings a smile to my face every time I turn on the MVP and it sends a WOL and my media PC starts.
NewUserIdAgain Wrote:Wake on LAN is really one of the key benefits fore me. It brings a smile to my face every time I turn on the MVP and it sends a WOL and my media PC starts.

Wow. My wife would wonder what I'd been up to if I started grinning on the TV Sofa for no apparent reason... Big Grin
That sounds cool. I do hate the reboots my MVP constantly goes through. The WOL would be a great benefit to me too. I'm sold!
jksmurf Wrote:[*]If you're lazy like me, it allows you to turn it off (but not on) from upstairs remotely, if you've left it on.

Hmmm, I can turn it ON remotely by issueing a reboot command via telnet, I would like to know how you turn it OFF though.
If you record DVB-T in native 16:9, only MVPMC allows you to see it correctly on a 16:9 TV using SCART (at least here in Denmark with our standards)

Thats a top 1 feature for me - but all of the above is great as well :-)
Dava Wrote:Hmmm, I can turn it ON remotely by issueing a reboot command via telnet, I would like to know how you turn it OFF though.

Through the web interface. Point your browser at mvpmc's IP and there is a button labeled off about half way down.

Maratin
Pages: 1 2