NextPVR Forums

Full Version: to toomanyhandles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I'd post my reply here, since this is where I like to confuse people.

Quote:scp binary was there but it was missing... something it needed, and the box isn't up at them moment.

You need to create and store the required dropbear ssh security certs and files on the client and sever. I think you also have to add a password for root. I haven't done this for months and I don't remember any more than this but the dropbear site explains it all.

toomanyhandles Wrote:The recordings I'm playing are "medium" quality. And for the rtwin variable-- how to get that to stick between power cycles?

To persist any changes in mvpmc you need a dongle.bin.config file. The "medium" setting probably is actually pretty high bit rate if you use GBPVR to create the files. Somethings can be changed via the web interface, but there is no consistency on the project.

Quote:And-- how to get back to mvpmv setting screen once emulation mode is going? Only power cycle? power cycle plus dongle change on config is the only way I've found to get the setting screen back consistently I think, although I didn't play that much.

You can get back the the mvpmc menu with the Go Back key combination.

Quote:I'd like to take a look at the system once it is in emulation mode but I can't telnet in at that point; what is set up for getting in at that time?

This I can't explain at all. I do this more often than not.

Quote:It would be fun if some binary tools were optional and able to be downloaded separately, maybe they are already.

I've build quite a few. If you have a linux machine Jon Gettler the lead for mvpmc has made building a toolchain trivial.

Quote:Anything to check on the HTPC side?

Awaiting logs.

Martin
Logs attached. I am embarrassed that I haven't even opened one, but it's that season. No hurry but if something leaps out that will be fun. Exit PVRX2, start PVRX2, connect from mvpmc 12/23 build, play one recording for 15 or 20 sec, stop mvp playback, exit pvrx2.

Today, for whatever reason, telnetd doesn't just boot me out on connect attempt once emulation mode starts. Oh well. All seems good.

Medium quality recordings were indeed created with GBPVR; that's not likely going to change; I thought MVP could cope with that? esp. wired for sure.

Thanks for looking at it whenever you can get to it. It would be fun to find something obvious to change (and that's not at all unlikely).
The logs don't really show the stuttering. If your I: is on a share that might be the source of the problem, especially if the share is accessed via wireless.

You probably should remove 48198 from the weather plugin settings, it is generating errors.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:The logs don't really show the stuttering. If your I: is on a share that might be the source of the problem, especially if the share is accessed via wireless.

You probably should remove 48198 from the weather plugin settings, it is generating errors.

Martin

No shares at all, I sftp everything around if need be, old-fashioned I guess. Well too lazy to set up the shares anyway, for the transfers that I need to do.
I tried a few different recordings that would be on different drives (I have 3 dries in there), same stuttering results.

I need to just manually fix the URL that the plugin makes for anything that's not a predefined city.

So-- now what?
Maybe sub will have a Boxing Day special and see something that I don't in your logs

1. If you can share Video5 you can also try to play the file via mvpmc in Filesystem mode

From telnet

mkdir /Video5
mount.cifs //ip/sharename /Video5 -o username=?,password=?,ro (fill in the ?)
or for guest
mount.cifs //ip/sharename /Video5 -o guest

The Navigate to Video5 in the Filesystem and see if it plays. If it doesn't, hit the menu button instead of play on the file and select throughput test. Let it play for a couple of minutes (to ensure you'd expect stutter) and see what mbs you can expect.

2. You can try various rtwin's by repeating this test

killall mvpmc

mvpmc --emulate gbpvrip --em-rtwin 4192

You can also see if any of these improve throughput.

3. Finally from telnet the ifconfig command (linux equivalent of ipconfig) will tell you if you are getting many network error. It would be useful to note if this jumps during a short mpeg file play with stuttering.

Martin
I can do all of that.

How about doing a VLC stream? Useful? About the same utility as looking into thigns while GBPVR is doing the work?

I'm not sure how to set that up so it works from the VLC; if you are still around and have a how-to great, else I'll check the mvpmc site.

Thanks for the replies. Good to have things to do before couple days off work Smile
The CIFS test should be good enough. I'm around, the excitement tonight is waiting to see if Clarence gets his wings.

Martin
Well, the mvp has just been sitting since my test earlier this evening, so the ifconfig results should still be OK.

----------------
BusyBox v1.1.3 (2007.12.23-08:00+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:22:00:02:5C
inet addr:192.168.0.4 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:25913 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:16494 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:30988364 (29.5 MiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:27 Base address:0xd300 DMA chan:1

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
--------

doesn't look to lossy to me. And in fact that's how _your_ linux install seems, lagged but not lossy. The Hauppauge one might have been just a bit lossy.

GBPVR is busy now, not sure if I'll get the share going in the remainder of the day or not.

Thanks!
Note --em-rtwin is in emulation mode and doesn't impact the throughput test. This uses --fs-rtwin

Martin