NextPVR Forums

Full Version: ATI Pro 650 working with QAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I just downloaded and installed gbpvr 1.1.5 and got the ATI Pro 650 working with QAM and Charter cable. I just had to add the tuner to the dba.ini. The entry is as follows.

[ATI 650 Pro (QAM)]
TUNING_TYPE=ATSC
TUNING_SPECIAL=2
FILTER_TUNER=ATI BDA Digital Tuner
FILTER_CAPTURE=ATI BDA Digital Capture
PIN_TUNER_IN=Input0
PIN_TUNER_OUT=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_IN=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_OUT=MPEG2 Transport

I'm tuning through a PCI version of the Built By ATI card. This is the old card that said nothing about doing QAM on the box. I bought it about a year ago at BB. I'm using the latest (7.12) drivers from the AMD/ATI website, and am running windows XP sp2.

EDIT:
I just got and installed a second HD650 this week. This one is a VisionTek card, and it works also. I'm now using XP sp3, GB-PVR v1.2.13 and the drivers are the latest off of the ATI site (version 8.5).

I tried installing the Built by ATI card on a lite version of Vista Premium, and I couldn't get it to work. So far from my experience, the 650 will only tune QAM in XP.
Thanks for letting me know.

I'll include that definition in the master bda.ini file.
5l4k3r Wrote:Hi, I just downloaded and installed gbpvr 1.1.5 and got the ATI Pro 650 working with QAM and Charter cable. I just had to add the tuner to the dba.ini. The entry is as follows.

[ATI 650 Pro (QAM)]
TUNING_TYPE=ATSC
TUNING_SPECIAL=2
FILTER_TUNER=ATI BDA Digital Tuner
FILTER_CAPTURE=ATI BDA Digital Capture
PIN_TUNER_IN=Input0
PIN_TUNER_OUT=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_IN=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_OUT=MPEG2 Transport

I'm tuning through a PCI version of the Built By ATI card. This is the old card that said nothing about doing QAM on the box. I bought it about a year ago at BB. I'm using the latest (7.12) drivers from the AMD/ATI website, and am running windows XP sp2.

I have a question regarding QAM. Was 7.12 the first driver version you tried, or the first one you had success with QAM?

I really want to go with QAM via the ATI 650, but I have problems with "white noise" on the analog side if the drivers are too new.
Here is link regarding this issue: ATI 650 White Noise

I'm running an older driver that I don't think supports QAM (not really sure of number.) I recently tried the 8.1 driver and the white noise issue re-appeared so moved it back to an older version.

Thanks.
sslusser Wrote:I have a question regarding QAM. Was 7.12 the first driver version you tried, or the first one you had success with QAM?

I really want to go with QAM via the ATI 650, but I have problems with "white noise" on the analog side if the drivers are too new.
Here is link regarding this issue: ATI 650 White Noise

I'm running an older driver that I don't think supports QAM (not really sure of number.) I recently tried the 8.1 driver and the white noise issue re-appeared so moved it back to an older version.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have the white noise problem too. I'm pretty sure that 7.7 is the last driver that didn't have the white noise issue, but don't quote me on that... I don't think QAM was added until 7.12, but I can't be positive since that was the first driver I tried tuning it with. I have updated to 8.1, and QAM does work with those, but still have the white noise. Keep us posted if you try 7.7 and QAM works.
I tried gettting the ATI 650 PCI to work for QAM, but I am not having any luck... To which connector did you connect your cable - "TV" or "DTV/FM" ? Maybe it depends on the card's P/N? Mine shows 117-70395-10
I have the cable connected to the DTV/FM. I'm not sure of the part # of my card, and I'm finally happy with the HTPC setup, so I probably won't take it apart for some time...
One more question, do you receive the QAM channels via ATI's software (Catalyst Media Center)? I am beginning to suspect that I have a cable issue - I tried Fusion HDTV 7 and HVR 1600 and also those find no QAM.....
QAMsimodo Wrote:I tried Fusion HDTV 7 and HVR 1600 and also those find no QAM.....
I'm pretty sure it's a signal issue as I said in the other thread. If you don't have any splitters on your line, you may need to try boosting your signal.
I've never tried the updated version of Catalyst Media Center. I have one of the cards released before they were supposed to do QAM, so the bundled CMC only does analog and ATSC. Signal quality is a good possibility. I had trouble tuning a few channels until I got a 4 way amplifier from radio shack. That did the trick, and I could get all the QAM channels in after I used that. I knew I was missing them because I have an LCD with a QAM tuner that would pick up those channels. It seems the 650 is as finicky with QAM as it is with ASTC...
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 2Gb
Pages: 1 2