NextPVR Forums

Full Version: is mvp the way to go
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have gbpvr running on a 1 ghz computer with 1.1.5, and everything is working great including divx/xvid playback. Now I want to hook up another tv using the MVP (wired network). Is there any reason why this wouldn't work for me?
Your server isnt powerful enough for playing divx/xvid files on the MVP. The MVP can only play MPEG1/MPEG2 video files so it'd have to convert other files types to MPEG2 on the fly when you try to play them. Your 1GHz machine wouldnt be powerful enough to do it in the required 'faster than real time'.
sub Wrote:The MVP can only play MPEG1/MPEG2 video files .

I play back avi files via the MVP. They're not a MPEG1 or 2, are they ?

Also, while I remember to ask, how come I can't play back those same avi files (which are fine via MVP) on the server PC via GBPVR video library?
fausto Wrote:I play back avi files via the MVP. They're not a MPEG1 or 2, are they ?
The MVP never sees the avi files. GBPVR fires up transcoding software that converts the avi file to mpeg2 and [I]then[I] the resulting mpeg2 file is streamed to the MVP.
And it is this transcoding, in realtime, that needs raw CPU power.
fausto Wrote:I play back avi files via the MVP. They're not a MPEG1 or 2, are they ?
As mentioned in the two posts above, they're being converted to MPEG2 prior to being sent to the MVP. You need a farily grunty CPU for this to be possible

Quote:Also, while I remember to ask, how come I can't play back those same avi files (which are fine via MVP) on the server PC via GBPVR video library?
You're most likely dont have a decoder installed for the type of video contained in the avi file (xvid/divx etc).
martint123 Wrote:And it is this transcoding, in realtime, that needs raw CPU power.

Just a question, I know a pentium 4 3000mhz is ok to transcode on 1 MVP but would it be powerful enough to transcode on 3 MVP`s. I`m planning on putting MVP`s in each bedroom and just wondering if the pc would be able to handle it, with transcoding from divx etc.

Before I convert everything to divx/xvid :-)

Thanks

Pete
petewxm Wrote:Just a question, I know a pentium 4 3000mhz is ok to transcode on 1 MVP but would it be powerful enough to transcode on 3 MVP`s. I`m planning on putting MVP`s in each bedroom and just wondering if the pc would be able to handle it, with transcoding from divx etc.

I can't answer that one Pete - you could try looking at CPU usage when transcoding to your single MVP.
petewxm Wrote:Just a question, I know a pentium 4 3000mhz is ok to transcode on 1 MVP but would it be powerful enough to transcode on 3 MVP`s. I`m planning on putting MVP`s in each bedroom and just wondering if the pc would be able to handle it, with transcoding from divx etc.

Before I convert everything to divx/xvid :-)
I doubt that machine would be able to transcode three divx/xvid streams at the same time. A 2GHz P4 often struggles to transcode code in the required faster than real time for one MVP client.
sub Wrote:As mentioned in the two posts above, they're being converted to MPEG2 prior to being sent to the MVP. You need a farily grunty CPU for this to be possible.
You're most likely dont have a decoder installed for the type of video contained in the avi file (xvid/divx etc).

Could you explain this a bit more, please? Are you saying GBPVR converts avi to mpeg if an MVP requests it?........but it won't do this (for itself) on the server PC??? That's doesn't make a lot of sense to a newbie like me :confused:

p.s. my 1G PIII is not what I'd call grunty but it plays back avi files via the MVP fine :confused::confused::confused:
Pages: 1 2