NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Ati Radeon 3850 and Powerdvd issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have issues with my (new) Ati Radeon and Powerdvd 7. latest de luxe.
Like i stated elsewhere i did put in a new Abit-An-M2HD mobo. Since I wanted a real good image I disengaged the onboard video and used the Radeon.
But when I play a HD-DVD (have no blu ray player yet)I hear sound in powerdvd, no image and then it freezes. (I have no alternative, there's no other HD-DVD software player).So I turn of my Radeon, engage the onboard Nvidia video and it works (till this morning, now there's no HDMI output any more). I will RMA the mobo, sell it then, will get a proper HD sound card (Club 3d Theatron Agrippa DTS 7.1) and a MOST SIMPLE AM2 mobo with no onboard shit! (sound nor graphics).

Question remains:
Any known issues between powerdvd and the Radeon HD3850?

cheers, arttext.
It amuses me to no end that the reason HDDVD and Blu-ray copy protection was bypassed so quickly is because a guy got pissed when his expensive "fully-compliant" hardware still wouldn't play his $35 HD-DVD.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'd look around and read up on that motherboard and this problem before RMA'ing it since I'd be surprised if it's the motherboard's fault. Best bet is to probably search over at AVSforum. I recall PowerDVD being problematic for many people with the HD DVDs. Lots of people over there use that since it's one of the few players that is supposed to fully work (yeah, right) with the newer video cards to accelerate h.264.
arttext Wrote:(I have no alternative, there's no other HD-DVD software player).
http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/
arttext Wrote:Any known issues between powerdvd and the Radeon HD3850?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=971070
Thanks for the replies guys. And yes, I'm on AVSforum too. And I didn't check out Totalmedia etc. since PowerDVD started working.
It wasn't indeed the Mobo (but later this week hdmi out stopped and I had to rma it anyway.)
It was, as always, the drivers. The ATI 8.1 drivers and a latter day fix from Powerdvd fixed the issue. But I am so fed up with these "on board graphics and sound". But it's hardly possible to get a decent board with a chipset I want (AMD in this case) without these "add-ons".
Anyway i got a new board, an Asus M2A-VM HDMI in this case, disabled HD graphics and sound (disabling graphics on the An2 wasn't even possible!) bought a nice soundcard (Clun 3D Theatron Agrippa DTS 7.1) and used my Radeon HD3850 for graphics. So there's just enough room (2 pci slots) for my old TV card. We only still have analog Pal over here, in spite of my 30/30 glass fiber triple play connection!). Gonna install the latest GBPVR release tonight, fix all the channels again and of we go again.
Another lesson I learned today, that sometimes (but only sometimes!) that things do work.
I had a Pioneer BDC 202 Blu-ray on backorder, it arrived today. I had read a about lot of issues with this drive on various forums, but installed and connected it expecting it not to work, and to my amazement, it did. Without any problem. So now I have two optical drives in my HTPC, which is still way cheaper then a hybrid combo. At some point in the future I will replace it with a combo/hybrid.
And I did some math too. BD discs of 50 GB cost now about 40.- Euro. So until the price drops drastically, my option for my backups of HD/BD movies (legal in this country) is a 500 GB USB HD, which is about 99.- Euro!

Edit:
I'm stiil gonna try out TTMT by Arcsoft. Looks promising and I really hate (silly argument)Powerdvd's interface.
arttext