NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Multiple Computers, Single MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
im sure ive seen something about this in the wiki but cant find it so could someone point me to it or explain how to do it?

thanks in advance,
How to do what exactly??
well basically i want to stream media from multiple computers to one mvp - do i have to set up multiple servers or something?
If you set up gbpvr-mvp-server on every system you want to stream from, I guess you could do it. You would have to unplug/plug-in the mvp everytime you want to change server. In the menu that comes up you should be able to choose the server you want to use. Although I think that menu only comes up with the gbpvr/hauppauge-dongle not with the mvpmc-dongle, but I could be wrong here.
This can be done with the old Hauppauge dongle which has the volume OSD. With the green button press, it will try to find any avaible GBPVR server to connect. There is a thread around here with a list of dongles available for you to test.

Dan L.
Are your 'multiple computers' all networked to each other? If so, you'd want to run one computer as the GBPVR server to serve files to the MVP and then point the GBPVR server PC to the appropriate shared directories on each of the networked PCs.
There are various ways of doing this. On the Hauppauge dongle when you get the preferred server prompt (before or after the dongle is loaded depending on the MVP model number) just select the server you want. If it reconnects to the wrong server without the prompt coming up, you will need to unplug your mvp and reload the dongle.

With mvpmc if you browse to the built in web server, you can enter the ip address of the gbpvr server you want to connect to. Use the power button to load your new settings.

rscheller's option is good too, if you don't need livetv from multiple sources.

Martin
thanks for the replies, i didnt know you could point gbpvr to shared directories so will try that first as all my computers are networked
BUT if you are going to point GBPVR to other shares you need to run the RecordingService as a user that has rights on the share (and remember to set the RecordingService to runs as that user after every upgrade of GBPVR).

It's not complicated, search a bit in the Forum and you'll find quite a few explanations.