NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Got kicked out of emulation mode during slide show
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, I've got some nice logs! I was listening to netradio and viewing a slide show of pictures. Suddenly (after an hour I guess) my MVP was kicked out of emulation mode back to the mvpmc menu. I didn't do anything like pressing many buttons or so.
After that I deleted the logs and tried to get that error again. I started netradio and watched a slideshow. After a short time the same thing happened again. So here are the short log files.

I'm using the latest recommended mvpmc dongle (3.4 or so) and GBPVR 1.1.5.

Any ideas?

Eyk
My guess is there was a data collision on an inbound ping and an input screen image, and if emulation mode can't get back in a good state it does a clean shutdown. Unfortunately the protocol doesn't have any reset mechanism.

The more large images you view while audio plays, the more likely I find that you should expect one of these collisions especially after you see one of these "Socket SelectWrite failed...waiting" log messages.

Martin
Hi Martin,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. Do I get you wrong or does it mean that the user is not supposed to listen to netradio and watch a slide show, because the system is in an undefined state?!?

Eyk
Not really. If my interpretation of the problem is correct, (and it is just a hunch), then the longer you run the slide slow, the more likely you are to get a network error which leads to the collision running net radio or not. Of course this could happen in the first seconds to it does happen by chance and I think once things are on the tcp stack there isn't a lot either sub or I can do to avoid it.

You could even have a problem from time to time with any audio with just the screen saver but based on the file size and frequency I'd say the slide show is 20x more likely to cause a problem.

Martin
This sounds like my problem as well. I mainly use the ML2 plugin over the MVP with the latest recommended MVPMC dongle (or hauppauge dongle). Typically, while playing music, my system will crash at least once an hour. Interestingly, if I am running a picture slide show, it seems to be very stable. Is there nothing we can do to limit these network coillisions? How do other people deal with this? I dont see many complaints on the forum about this problem.
Emulation mode exiting to the main menu is not really a system crash. I would be interested in looking at your logs. I haven't used ML2 too much in the last few months but I could typically go 8 hours or more without one of these collisions. The best one for avoiding collisions was probably GBPVR 99.12 with the --em-safety mode option, because the problems were predictable.

If you are running wireless of course all bets are off.

BTW there really are three recommendations going around. I use the latest alpha and I will probably always use it, I thought 0.3.4 should be recommended when it came out because the source was available, keeping with Open Source, and sub is still pointing to a much older version, which no one complains about either.

Martin
How do I set the --em-safety mode option? I searched the forum but found no mention of that. My server is a Windows XP box.
I will try the alpha dongle and post a log if the problem happens again.
Thanks.
smelcher Wrote:How do I set the --em-safety mode option? I searched the forum but found no mention of that. My server is a Windows XP box.
I will try the alpha dongle and post a log if the problem happens again.
Thanks.

The --em-safety mode with PVRX2 should not be necessary, it will just slow you down.

Martin