NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Noob Audio Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just gotten involved with GBPVR and am setting up my PC. I have a Hauppauge 1600 Media Center Edition tuner. I have the tuner up and running, video card working (ok with VGA cable still S-video trouble), getting program guide updates and of course working through the Media Center Remote issues.

My question comes down to audio. For a sound card I have the original Sound Blaster that came with the PC. I've read a lot of posts, but can say I don't yet understand all the audio wizardry. My Tuner has S-Video and 2 RCA jacks. Its not clear from Hauppauge's site what these are for (documentation was 1 sheet of paper). I'm guessing all are inputs for video.

1600 MCE picture
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/hvr1600_mce_big.jpg

Audio is working through the PC speakers for both live TV and recorded playback. To route through my 5.1 Surround Sound will I need a new sound card? Is there a hardware connector to go from PC speaker to audio equipment? What is the most common approach to feed audio into my surround sound system?

Sorry guys, dumb questions from someone just getting into it. I'm reading the wiki and forum to get as many answers as I can. Audio has me stumped.
The audio comes from the motherboard audio outputs or your Soundblaster. (your choice.) It depends on your outputs whether you need a new card or not to get 5.1 The RCA stereo jacks can only transfer 2.0 stereo, so you need a 5.1 connection, the most likely one you might have being optical. I'm going to guess your soundblaster doesn't have that. If your soundblaster has separate connections for right, left, surround, surround, and subwoofer, then it will work, you just need a lot of cables.