NextPVR Forums

Full Version: None of the players are streaming videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried VLC AND WMP and anytime I want to stream a video from either app it says it can't open the stream. Anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions?

PLEASE..
Is this trying to stream locally, or to another machine?

Have you got the streaming port open in your firewall?

Ta
JonnyCam Wrote:Is this trying to stream locally, or to another machine?

Have you got the streaming port open in your firewall?

Ta

Aha, hardware router/firewall is not open. I thought it didn't need to be. Do you know the port or port ranges? I'm wondering why streaming works but it doesn't seem to work within gbpvr. I mean, it works for shoutcast, youtube, etc. but not this app.
If you can play a stream from a given URL using the native VLC or WMP players (ie. outside of GB-PVR/UbuStream), then the same stream should play fine with the equivalent internal player within UbuStream. I very much doubt if firewall settings are causing the problem.

You don't specify what stream(s) you are trying to play or whether you are using Preview Play, External Play or whatever. Have you tried looking to see if there are any relevant messages in the GB-PVR log files?
Ok, I've tried all three modes of playing, and they won't stream. When I do the external way via VLC, there is an error window saying it can't stream cache.google.com ..blahblah . So I copy this location directly into VLC, WMP, etc. and they don't stream.

It almost seems like it has the wrong address.

I pulled the logs and it seems to say that the RSS feeds are giving it an incorrect download link. Here is a piece of the log:
1/31/2008 12:31:03 AM ERROR [UbuStreamImporter.AddStation] Can't download RSS item file for Potter Puppet Pals in 'The Mysterious Ticking Noise'.
UbuCommon: Error downloading podcast file:
The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

1/31/2008 12:31:03 AM INFO [UbuStreamImporter.AddStation] Existing station row updated: Potter Puppet Pals in 'The Mysterious Ticking Noise'
1/31/2008 12:31:03 AM INFO [UbuStreamImporter.AddGroupItem] Station added to 'YouTube :: Top Favorites' group.
1/31/2008 12:31:03 AM VERBOSE [UbuStreamImporter.GetStationImage] Downloaded an image file for 'Potter Puppet Pals in 'The Mysterious Ticking Noise'' from: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Tx1XIm6q4r4/default.jpg
1/31/2008 12:31:03 AM VERBOSE [UbuStreamImporter.read_PLS_File] File5=http://cache.googlevideo.com/get_video?video_id=pv5zWaTEVkI
Type: RSS Current group: YouTube :: Top Favorites

Maybe all that makes sense to you. :p

Also, I try putting that link directly into a player and it says error as well.
gazoo Wrote:When I do the external way via VLC, there is an error window saying it can't stream cache.google.com ..blahblah . So I copy this location directly into VLC, WMP, etc. and they don't stream.
Since you don't reveal what "blahblah" represents, I can't duplicate this. Smile

Also, you don't say what you are actually doing to create the station you are trying to play. From the log fragments you've included, it looks like you maybe were using UbuStream's video search capability. If so, it looks like the search returned an invalid url for the video. Just because an item gets returned in the search doesn't guarantee that it points to a valid url. UbuStream is just acting as a front end to the Google search.

The log message also suggests that you had set the "download to file" option. Not all urls neccessarily point to a downloadable file. Some urls can only be streamed. The "download to a file" option is intended as an "advanced" feature if you know the file can be captured.

It seems like you are trying to achieve too much in one step. Before using the video search or the RSS feature, why not start by using a station with an url pointing to a "known" stream or VOD file (one that you can successfully play with a player outside of UbuStream)? That way you could validate your UbuStream installation is working. Once you've established it's working, then try several video search or RSS cases. Then, if you still find it's not working, you can attach your log and we'll have some meaningful messages to look at.

Quote:Also, I try putting that link directly into a player and it says error as well.
The link in the message is a jpg file (the image associated with the stream) so you won't be able to "play" it. If you use your browser to access that address instead, you'll find that it's actually a valid image. The log message suggests that it was successfully downloaded and defined as the station image.
Sorry Ubu, this is the type of blah blah link from above I was referring to:

http://cache.googlevideo.com/get_video?v...v5zWaTEVkI

VLC shoots out an error saying it can stream that. If you put VLC (or WMP) direct, it doesn't work either.
gazoo Wrote:Sorry Ubu, this is the type of blah blah link from above I was referring to:

http://cache.googlevideo.com/get_video?v...v5zWaTEVkI

VLC shoots out an error saying it can stream that. If you put VLC (or WMP) direct, it doesn't work either.
Until recently, Google was caching YouTube videos returned by its search engine so that url would point to the underlying .flv file for the flash video. Looks like that trick no longer works.

So, if you are using UbuStream's video search feature, urls starting with "http://cache.googlevideo.com" probably won't work. However, other urls, such as those starting with "http://video.google.com/videofile", should work fine.

In any case, you didn't respond to the rest of my previous post. Have you tried using UbuStream with a "standard" video stream url that you know to be a valid url? You'll probably find there's nothing wrong with your UbuStream installation and that the internal players are working fine. The video search feature is a "nice to have" addition, but is not really a core component of UbuStream.

If you are desperate to get those "Potter Puppet Pals" :eek: flash animations working with UbuStream, you should get yourself a network sniffer (such as URLSnooper) so you can grab the url of the underlying .flv file. Then you can simply add a new station using that url and it should play fine with the VLC internal player.
Thanks. That's what I was getting at ... that perhaps the location of where ubu looks for these things might have been messed with by YouTube. That link was just an example - I was using the "most viewed youtube" link in Ubu and that was the first thing to come up.

thanks