NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Silent Power Supply
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that gbpvr is working so good I started to be annoyed by the sound from my HTPC. I have an Antec Fusion case with an Hiper M530 power supply. I have replaced the case fans with Noctua fans and have a Scythe Mini Ninja CPU cooler.
It seems that most of the remaining noise is coming from the Power supply.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good quiet powersupply. I thought about using the fanless Silverstone Nightjar. Anyone with experience from that one?
I'm using a fanless silverstone 350w psu but i don't think it is called a nightjar.

i'm very happy with it. only problem is that psu fans remove a lot of heat from both the psu itself and also from the case. llosing the psu fans may mean that you need additional fans elsewhere.

if i was buying a psu with a fan, i would go for a seasonic.
I have an Enermax Liberty series that is pretty quiet. A single 120mm fan.
I use a Nexus real silent 400W power supply. It is practically inaudible from more than half a meter away.
yea, go for one with a 120mm fan inside...much quieter..
i've been using one with a fan adjust knob on back so i can actually make it silent...Big Grin

also make sure there's good 'flow' inside the case, fans pushing against/pulling from other fans just end up cancelling eachother out and needing more fans...
make sure to have a good air-in....and good air-out...preferrably of equal resistance/flow...
that way a steady stream from in-out without having to push too hard will keep the air noise down and allow much slower fan speeds...
also setting any fans to be thermostatically controlled helps...only crank up when ya need it...
I use a PICO PSU (60watt). However you can also get it in 120watt version. They are totally fanless you can't get any quieter than that.
I highly recommend the Seasonic S12-380. It has a 120mm fan, but I can't hear it unless I have the HTPC case open.
I use a generic PSU.
I opened it up & put a higher quality ball bearing fan in it.
I used a case fan so it runs off the PSU itself.

I now can only tell the PC is on when I mute the audio & nobody is talking.
nitrogen_widget Wrote:I use a generic PSU.
I opened it up & put a higher quality ball bearing fan in it.
I used a case fan so it runs off the PSU itself.
What was the make/model of the fan? I'm quite happy with my cheapo generic PSU other than the fan noise - I might try that.

Cheers,
Brian
Pages: 1 2