NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Dish Network setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to build my PVR, but need some help or advice.
I have dish network with a 625 box that is downstairs. I have one TV downstairs and one upstairs. The 625 controls both televisions.

I have Windows XP home SP2. I need help with hardware setup.

What Capture Card would you recommend for use with Dish Network, especially the 625. Has anyone had success with this setup?

Also, do I need another remote control or will my dish network remote work?

If you could tell me what hardware you are using with your dish network setup and the pros/cons of your setup.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi jviola,
I'm using the Hauppauge HVR-1600 capture card (now 69.99 at Fry's), with an AMD 4000+, 1GB, Nvidia 7800GS, and XP Home Edition System. I had it hooked up to a Dishnetwork DP301 Receiver for about about 6 months. It has the IRBlaster remote control that works perfectly with GBPVR and also to control the receiver. I bought an HD TV and upgraded to the 211 HD receiver a few months ago and only had to reprogram the remote to work with it.
The capture card is connected from the recevier with s-video connector and then back to the TV via the video card DVI out. Excellent quality.
I"m using two PRV150MCE's hooked to a Dish 322. One is connected via S-video, the other via composite. The challenge for me has been that TV2 uses a UHF (radio) remote ONLY - and there is NO WAY to change channels over UHF from a computer (believe me, I've spent a lot of time looking) TV1 uses IR so I can IR Blast it to change channels. TV2 I have to set timers - I've gotten used to it so I just use it for recurring recordings.

You can use the dish remote, but you'll have to use it by selecting the VCR or AUX button and use HIP or similar to map the keys over to GBPVR functions. You'll also need an IR Receiver for your PC. I use the MCE IR/Receiver and HIP.

I purchased a universal programmable remote a while back and condensed 6 remotes into one (TV, VCR, DVD, GBPVR, DISH 522 and Directtv e-86 (for OTA high def)).

Make sure to set a timer for 5 am (or some other early time) on the receiver tuner hooked to GBPVR, otherwise, you 'll get their stupid screen after the daily update that says "press select to continue". If you don't set that timer, then you'll up recording hours of that screen Sad
Wow. IT doesn't sound like it is that easy. My 625 also uses UHF to control. Is there a way to connect it so that I can continue to use my dish network remote control on the 625 the same way I do now, but use GBPVR on only the downstair TV where the 625 is?

Also, Dish is digital satellite. If I buy the Hauppauge HVR-1600 capture card will that work on digital and will it convert over to analog? From Hauppauge website it states this under the FAQs:
Can I get high definition digital TV with the WinTV-HVR-1600 through my Cable or Satellite box?

The answer is 'maybe' for digital cable TV but currently 'no' for satellite TV.

I'm a little confused.
The Dish signal is encrypted and the receiver decrypts the signal. There is "software" out there can can decrypt the signal, but not legally. You also need a satellite capture card to do so.

IIRC, the HVR-1600 is QAM enabled (means that it can receive digital TV via cable), some other people on the forum have had hit and miss success doing this. Best to search the forum for 'QAM' and/or '1600'.

It sounds like your setup on your downstairs TV uses IR, so it would be possible to use GB-PVR with that remote. You'd have use an IR Blaster/receiver that is able to map IR codes to commands that the PC can understand - I could be wrong, but I don't think that Hauppage's blaster can receive generic commands (I think you have to use their remote, or a remote that can emulate their IR codes). IIRC, The dish remote only uses pre-programmed IR Codes, and can't 'learn' new ones.

To use the Dish Remote, you'd have to select a new IR code set (VCR/DVD/Aux button), configure an IR receiver and use some other software to translate that to PC commands (HIP and EventGhost are listed on the WIKI). I don't know if the IR receiver/blaster that comes with the HVR-1600 can do this. Someone else will have to speak to that.