NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New Harddrive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys,

I am going to add a 500GB HD to my system to replace the 160, as the recording drive, thats in it. I plan to leave the 160 in the system also.

My question is: Can I simply change the drive letter in config for new recordings, and leave the existing recordings on the existing drive?Rolleyes

I figure that all new stuff will go on the new drive and eventually, as we watch stuff, the 160 will be empty of shows.

Will this work or will PVRX2 have a fit?:confused:

Thanks,

Rich
richb Wrote:Guys,

I am going to add a 500GB HD to my system to replace the 160, as the recording drive, thats in it. I plan to leave the 160 in the system also.

My question is: Can I simply change the drive letter in config for new recordings, and leave the existing recordings on the existing drive?Rolleyes

I figure that all new stuff will go on the new drive and eventually, as we watch stuff, the 160 will be empty of shows.

Will this work or will PVRX2 have a fit?:confused:

Thanks,

Rich
I can't think of any reason why that would cause a problem - I regularly switch my recordings between drives to allow for defragging...
Once you change the drive letter in config to point to the new drive, all your recordings will disappear from the "Recordings" menu because they don't exist on the new drive. which means the show information (titles/description/resume point) will be purged from the database. I think there's a tool to export this information.

You can configure the "Video Library" in config to point to your old recordings directory and watch those old shows from there (but show info won't be available).

My suggestion would be to copy all of your shows from the 160gb to your new drive and then reconfigure to point to the new drive... i believe then GBPVR won't remove the show information because the show still exists in the "recordings" directory.

Then after you've verified this in the app, remove them from the 160.
I think your first approach is correct, GBPVR will only remove the info from the DB if it cannot find the file. And since the full search path is stored in the DB you should be fine.
Torque Wrote:Once you change the drive letter in config to point to the new drive, all your recordings will disappear from the "Recordings" menu because they don't exist on the new drive. which means the show information (titles/description/resume point) will be purged from the database. I think there's a tool to export this information.
Sorry to disagree, but my system certainly does not behave like this... I have these two entries in my current gbpvr db
Quote:H:\PVR\TV Recordings\4Music Keane Curates for\4Music Keane Curates for_20071104_23500055.mpg
E:\GB-PVR Recordings\Like U2 Youll Love This\Like U2 Youll Love This_20071108_11001200.mpg
As you can see, one is on disk E and the other is on disk H... I can see both recordings and the show info in gbpvr's recordings screen and EWA - I can also play either recording...

As I said in my previous post, I regularly swop recording disks so I can do an overnight defrag.

Only if I renamed any part of the filename path or moved the file to another folder would the recording be removed from the db.
ACTCMS and forzaKGB,

You are exactly right, I simply changed the drive letter in config and all is well.

My original files are still on the 160 and available, and stuff recorded this afternoon is on the 500.

A beautiful thing.

Thanks,

Rich
Beware upgrading a HDD.

I upgraded and changed the drive letters before copying the files across. Unfortunately GBPVR thought the files had gone and deleted them all from the database.

I was saved though, there is an auto backup which runs each night so I could recover the recordings.... Thanks Sub !

I would advise anyone upgrading a disk to export their recording database as a precaution.

AD