NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppauge Nova-T-500 with Freeview NZ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok - I currently have 4 analogue tuners (2 x MCE500's) in my pc and I'm going to want the same when I go Digital shortly. Is the Nova-T-500 truely two tuners, ie can you record two channels on two different frequencys or do they both have to be on the same sub frequency? (I ask because the pictures of the Nova-T-500 have two chips but look like only one Tuner?)

If they have to be off the same frequency is GBPVR clever enough to schedule recordings so that it uses the same card for channels on the same frequency efficiently?

Does anyone know the filesize of a 1 hour recording at HD directly saving the Broadcast stream?? How much HDD space am I going to be using, I currently get about 2GB per hour at the default quality I use.

I really want to jump on this the second the broadcasts begin but at the same time I don't want to waste money if theres issues recording due to content protection or I'm going to have issues recording 3 TVNZ channels and 1 TVNZ channel? I know it sounds greedy but we watch NOTHING live at present and its not uncommon to be recording 3 channels at once, occaissionally 4 (Although rare).
The Nova-T 500 has two independent tuners, that can be recording/watching different frequencies.

Quote:Intel PentiumD 2.8Ghz
Be warned though, playing these highdef H.264 streams can be pretty hard on a machine.
I've got the Nova T 500 and can confirm it can record two channels at the same time. I used it to record the test signals for TV1 and 2 (although with no sound). Interestingly, using the VMR9 Exclusive mode it played back fine with my ageing XP 2800 chip with 90% CPU usage. In VMR9 Custom there were skips/pauses. I would assume that once we are able to decode the sound stream, that my system will no longer be able to cope.
The current streams which are 720p are a little easier on the machines than the 1080i ones they were broadcasting earlier.

TVNZ have said they'll go with 720p. I dont think Canwest have said what they'll broadcast when the service goes live.
sub Wrote:The Nova-T 500 has two independent tuners, that can be recording/watching different frequencies.

Be warned though, playing these highdef H.264 streams can be pretty hard on a machine.

I'll see how I go - its a fairly new board, nice new SATA 3.0 Hard drives - plenty of Ram - I'll go Core2Duo if required as that'll keep it cooler/quieter. Money might be better spent on Video do you think? Its currently running a Radeon X300se - do any of the recent chipsets give decent H.264 acceleration or am I better upgrading the board? Might put my Core2Duo E6320 board and processor into the lounge pc and upgrade my pc to a 6700..... Oh well - play it by ear!
sub Wrote:The Nova-T 500 has two independent tuners, that can be recording/watching different frequencies.

P.S - Being that you'll know more on this than most Sub - Would the Nova-T 500 be a good way to go - anything better you'd recommend (I can get Hauppauge Wholesale and that cards pretty cheap!)

Thanks,

Matt
Since we only recently started getting DVB-T transmission I havnt really used many DVB-T devices. I do think the Hauppauge devices are a good choice though - their drivers seem to be more reliable than other manufacturers, and there is lots of people using them which helps for getting bugs identified and fixed. A Nova-T 500 is probably a pretty good choice.
sub Wrote:Since we only recently started getting DVB-T transmission I havnt really used many DVB-T devices. I do think the Hauppauge devices are a good choice though - their drivers seem to be more reliable than other manufacturers, and there is lots of people using them which helps for getting bugs identified and fixed. A Nova-T 500 is probably a pretty good choice.

Sweet - I've just ordered my first one - I might have to drop to two analogue tuners for a little bit to be able to test the Nova-T - Otherwise I might put it in another pc....... I'll see. Can't wait to play - Getting it going is all the fun!
Keep this thread going, Matt, as there will be a few of us keen to hear of your results.

Lindsay.