NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can I disable "Delayed Standby" after is has been requested?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've been trying to get my PC to go into standby and while testing the other night I managed to get Slimm GB-PVR into the delayed standby mode while it was doing a test recording. I tried to figure out how to cancel the standby request, but I didn't see an option to do that. When the recording ended, the system went directly into standby, even though I was actively using it at the time. Is there a way to tell Slimm GB-PVR to "nevermind" when I see the standby icon flashing?

Thanks!
HarryH3 Wrote:Is there a way to tell Slimm GB-PVR to "nevermind" when I see the standby icon flashing?

Yes. Go to the Slimm GBPVR / Shutdown menu and select whichever item is checked (in your case, Standby). This will uncheck the item and cancel the standby request.
Aha! I didn't think of that. I was thinking that if I clicked on "Standby" that it would go to standby immediately. Thanks!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but it is largely similar.

I always run pvrx2 in full screen mode so I never see the tray icon.
When slimm is running it nicely cancels the standby request when I press the standby button, however it cues the standby request.
Then when I wakeup the PVR and its still recording and the request for standby is still queued it can happen that I can start the playback of a recording and suddenly (when the running recording is finished) slimm remembers the pending standby and puts the system into standby.
My wife is not happy about this (stupid PC, can't you do better?)

So now my question.
As my system goes to standby once the recording is finished anyway is it possible to have an option to let slimm cancel the user initiated standby request but NOT to remember the request, or maybe even better, at a user command AFTER the request was queued, cancel the request as the user obviously has changed its mind?
erik Wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but it is largely similar.

I always run pvrx2 in full screen mode so I never see the tray icon.
When slimm is running it nicely cancels the standby request when I press the standby button, however it cues the standby request.
Then when I wakeup the PVR and its still recording and the request for standby is still queued it can happen that I can start the playback of a recording and suddenly (when the running recording is finished) slimm remembers the pending standby and puts the system into standby.
My wife is not happy about this (stupid PC, can't you do better?)

The actions available at this time are:
  • Slimm automatically cancels the delayed standby request if it puts the machine into standby.
  • You can manually cancel the delayed standby by unchecking the relevant menu item.

I don't understand the bit where you wakeup the PVR and it's still recording. Surely it can't be recording if it's asleep?

erik Wrote:So now my question.
As my system goes to standby once the recording is finished anyway...

Does this mean that you are shutting the machine down before Slimm GBPVR has a chance to? If Slimm GVPVR shuts the machine down, the delayed standby request is fulfilled and the delayed shutdown tick is removed.

erik Wrote:Is it possible to have an option to let slimm cancel the user initiated standby request but NOT to remember the request, or maybe even better, at a user command AFTER the request was queued, cancel the request as the user obviously has changed its mind?

Slimm doesn't monitor any other programs and so is not aware of your activity. It does not check for idle status before standing by.

If you could explain a sequence of events where you want Slimm to intervene or not, that might help as I do not believe I have grasped what it is exactly you want.
OK,

let me try again. Smile

I am watching TV. In the background a recording is active.
I press the standby button. Using HIP this kills PVRX2.exe, puts the TV in standby, puts the AV receiver in standby and then tries to put the PC in standby. That is prevented by SlimmGBPVR as the recording is still active. I realy like that as otherwise there will be a pop-up saying "some driver prevented the system to go to standby".
I do not hear nor see the PVR so I do not notice it did not go to standby.
Some time later I want to watch a recording
Normally I press the standby button to wake up the PC but I notice its already running so I press the system wakeup button that brings the TV out of standby, activates the receiver, wakes the PC screen (not needed in this case but it does not harm) and starts PVRX2.exe
Then I go to the recordings folder and watch a recording.
Then when the still ongoing recording finishes, slimmGBPVR remembers the pending standby request and puts the PC in standby
How can I manually cancel the pending standby request when I can not see the tray ICON and I only use a remote to operate the PC so I can not move to a certain window and press a button?

It would already be nice if I could let HIP fire some key sequence to cancel the pending request or I could to something else that can be done from a batch file to cancel the request as I can do that from the system wakeup command key that activiates all the external devices.
erik Wrote:OK,

let me try again. Smile

I am watching TV. In the background a recording is active.
I press the standby button. Using HIP this kills PVRX2.exe, puts the TV in standby, puts the AV receiver in standby and then tries to put the PC in standby. That is prevented by SlimmGBPVR as the recording is still active. I realy like that as otherwise there will be a pop-up saying "some driver prevented the system to go to standby".
I do not hear nor see the PVR so I do not notice it did not go to standby.
Some time later I want to watch a recording
Normally I press the standby button to wake up the PC but I notice its already running so I press the system wakeup button that brings the TV out of standby, activates the receiver, wakes the PC screen (not needed in this case but it does not harm) and starts PVRX2.exe
Then I go to the recordings folder and watch a recording.
Then when the still ongoing recording finishes, slimmGBPVR remembers the pending standby request and puts the PC in standby
How can I manually cancel the pending standby request when I can not see the tray ICON and I only use a remote to operate the PC so I can not move to a certain window and press a button?

It would already be nice if I could let HIP fire some key sequence to cancel the pending request or I could to something else that can be done from a batch file to cancel the request as I can do that from the system wakeup command key that activiates all the external devices.

Great! I absolutely understand now. At the moment, you can't cancel it without accessing the tray icon or allowing Slimm GBPVR to perform a standby or... without closing Slimm GBPVR and relaunching it.

You could end task Slimm GBPVR (using PsKill) and relaunch it in your wakeup script.
That is such a simple solution! I should have thought about it.
Thanks!
The solution works, but... I know have other problems.
It seems that once slim GBPVR has canceled a standby request and later, when the recording has finished it has put the PC in standby then there are problems with waking up the PC from the scheduled tasks or from bios requests for wakeup.

Typically since I use SlimGBPVR to cancel the standby request my EPG update scheduled tasks runs when the PC is manually brought out of standby.
Also I get a lot of failed recordings. Looking at the log files its clear the PC did not wake up at the scheduled time.

I now have stopped using SlimGBPVR (I simply block the standby request to reach the PC, only use it for putting the TV and receiver into standby) and now the scheduled EPG update task runs when it should run and I have no failed recordings.

Am I incorrect in making the link with SlimGBPVR? Is there anything I can do to help to debug this? Any particular actions/logs you want to see executed?
Well, I haven't had any problems myself in that regard on either my old XP box or my current Vista one nor have I had anyone report that problem.

Slimm GBPVR shuts down Windows in the exact same way Windows does, i.e., selecting the option from the Start menu is the same as Slimm performing the standby or selecting Standby from Slimm GBPVR's tray menu.

Do you have any postprocessing.bat functions that Slimm may not be giving enough time to complete? If so, I added a feature in the last version where you can specify how long after a recording session completes that Slimm GBPVR will perform the delayed standby. The default is ten seconds. If you want to set this yourself, you can use the Tools/Tray Configuration menu and the Shutdown section. This information is stored in the registry; if you want the key name, just let me know.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5