NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New Haupaugge HVR1600 channel help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. 1st post go easy Smile
I just bought an HVR 1600 from CC that does have QAM support.
I went to set it up in gbpvr and did a scan of all the channels. I have RCN here in PA---there are a 138 QAM channels !?!
I tried to go thru the process of mapping them but it is downright painful and I also cant tell which ones are HD or not on the little tiny preview window on GBPVR. Is there a better way ? Can someone offer me advice ?
From what I've read, it is pretty painful, and there isnt too many short cuts.

The process is much less painful with DVB-T/C/S and OTA ATSC, since the names of the channels are actually transmitted. With QAM the cable companies can do pretty much what they want, and useful stuff like channel names are usually not transmitted - instead they use their own proprietary method for passing this info to their cable boxes.

Unfortunately I'm not in the US with access to QAM signals, so its not something I've every been able to test or improve upon. Once you get past this initial channel setup, the application itself should be much easier.
hmm---well can anyone at least tell me how I can tell if a QAM channel is HD without actually viewing the channel ?
At a glance, 4.1, 5.1 or 7.1 are probably is the HD for local channel 4, 5 or 7. You can find something similar. There are many music channels but they are not really interesting much.

Dan L.