NextPVR Forums

Full Version: DVD playback on the PCH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Would it be possible to play DVD's (iso or video_ts with menu's, subtitles...) using the mvpmcx2 client? That would be great and might make gbpvr even more attractive for current myihome users, since myihome can't do this.

Chris
Its not currently able to, but should be able possible soon. Martin and I have talked about this, and we know what to do, but we havnt done it yet.

DVDs cant be streamed to the PCH, but they can be played by a share, so we'll come up with a scheme that uses shares for DVD playback.
sub Wrote:Its not currently able to, but should be able possible soon. Martin and I have talked about this, and we know what to do, but we havnt done it yet.

DVDs cant be streamed to the PCH, but they can be played by a share, so we'll come up with a scheme that uses shares for DVD playback.
Great news!
Chris have you had good performance playing DVD iso's over a Windows share? I have only really tested via nfs and via usb.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Chris have you had good performance playing DVD iso's over a Windows share? I have only really tested via nfs and via usb.
I've only tried it using a nfs share on Windows (good performance), so I don't know. I'll try it today.

Chris
I just played a DVD from the mvpmc share and had no performance problems. I did notice the image size was wrong. It's letterbox but the black bars are too large. But that's not for you to solve, it's a knows bug: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewto...+letterbox
It also looks like they're using another player. I get the same behaviour as starting a movie from mvpmcx2, meaning the screen switching, and after that I never get the popcorn buffer screen.

Chris
Thanks Chris, before heading down the Windows share route I wanted to get user experience to ensure it was feasible. For non-http connections, there are several distinctions on the knowledge of the file location that will need to be shared between mvpmcx2 and gpbvr and certainly the Windows share will be the easiest common share. I do wish Microsoft realized that nfs is important in homes for media sharing but I believe they have their own agenda here.

And I see you noticed that Syabas use a different player for DVD playing. This player uses something you probably have seen me write about on the NMT forums called DirectFB (and incidentally you might have noticed that the OSD for info, pause etc is sharper in the DVD player too) and this is actually were I am hoping to be able to get enough information from Syabas to tighten the integration with GB-PVR inside x2. Getting this information about mono the other media player will be impossible because it is shrouded in NDA's.

Note I am not going to make much information about this player public while I am experimenting because I have locked my PCH twice because of bad value it writes it into flash. The first time my heart sank I thought I had bricked my PCH. Fortunately I figured out how to recover and others actually have come to me for advise on this.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:The first time my heart sank I thought I had bricked my PCH.
I know the feeling.

Maybe you should test the windows share yourself, since I only tested one DVD and it wasn't a very long test, or someone else could try this. At the NMT forum they advise to use NFS, but that could be a problem for a lot of users.

Chris
Sorry I leave major in home testing and real use to you guys. Besides I don't want to get into the Windows share vs NFS debate, I accept Windows shares like most things Microsoft because they are forced on me. GB-PVR is a pleasant exception.

Martin
I have no problems with ISO's over SMB.