NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDHomeRun users have new QAM option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For users with the HDHomeRun, there is a new setting that will allow native QAM tuning instead of having to remap channels.

As of the 20080807beta3 HDHR software, you can now select GBPVR as the application in the HDHR Setup.

This will disable the 69 channel/program limit and bypass the ATSC emulation mode allowing you to directly tune the QAM channel thus working like any other QAM tuner.

WARNING:
This will also disable filtering of the program so the entire QAM stream will be sent across the network at the full 38Mbps, thereby increasing the network traffic.

Notes for sub:
I know you have your plate full but if you can add something to the wishlist it would be greatly appreciated. The HDHomeRun BDA driver now supports the IEnumPIDMap API (defined by Microsoft) which will cut down on network traffic.
whurlston Wrote:Notes for sub:
I know you have your plate full but if you can add something to the wishlist it would be greatly appreciated. The HDHomeRun BDA driver now supports the IEnumPIDMap API (defined by Microsoft) which will cut down on network traffic.
Its not clear to me how the drivers are using that interface. Its an interface on the Microsoft Demultiplexer.
I was hoping it was just me. Oh well. I just came across it in the developer docs. In case you haven't seen it, it is located at http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdh...opment.pdf

Not much info in it though, just
Quote:PID filtering:
The HDHomeRun supports hardware PID filtering. When used this reduces the network bandwidth
to that of the sub-channel being watched/recorded.
The API to control the PID filter is the IEnumPIDMap API (defined by Microsoft).
The IEnumPIDMap API is implemented in the KSNODE_BDA_PID_FILTER node of the HDHomeRun
BDA driver.
I might shoot an email to Nick and try to get more info. I might try playing around with it as well in a recording source plugin. I can always use more practice with coding. It just a matter of finding the time though. I still can't figure out how you do it.
Can you PM me his email address? I did have it, but cant seem to find it now.
Yup, sent. Thanks.
I made the changes as outlined and rescanned. 133 channels were scanned and several hundred found all identified by "xxxxxxxx.x frequency" and the word "unknown" . I can determine which of the hundreds channels are unencrypted QAM by manual preview. However I dont understand how to Map these to a channel name so that GBPVR can recognize them. The dropdown boxes in the Tuning Request column still contain the same entries as before the change was made eg "80.2 CSPAN3(000(AC3)" not "XXXXXXX.X unknown4". The result is that GBPVR can no longer display digital channels. Any suggestions appreciated.
The dropdown should contain the entries from previous mappings as well the new tuning strings that are found. I recommed setting up a new capture device and then scanning and mapping. Once everything is the way you want it on the new capture device, remove the old one.
Thanks for the prompt reply. You are right of course. I didnt look far enough down in the drop down list. Thanks. I am curious as to whether there is a way for the scanning process to identify Channel names in addtion to/instead of frequencies as the previous method did. It isnt a big deal, but it will take some time and a magnifying glass to try to figure out what these channels are from the preview. The HDHomeRun software seems to do it somehow.
If your cable company is broadcasting the channel name in the stream, the scan will pick it up. The reason that it was picked up before was tat the HDHR injects it into the stream during the reencapsulation method employed during the remapping process.
I do not have the individual tuners listed in my registry ....

I only have this ;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Silicondust\HDHomeRun]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\"
"LineupEnabled"=dword:00000001
"Location"="US:77388"
"Source"="Digital Cable"
"LineupID"=""

Can I add the entries listed above and sub my tunerID??
Pages: 1 2