NextPVR Forums

Full Version: ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I recently purchased a brand new computer equipped with an ASUS M3A78-EMH with HDMI support. I was happy about the low price and the ability to watch HD quality with my Toshiba 42C3500PG LCD.

So after installing Vista Ultimate with the proper drivers I tried to setup the HDMI display. At first it took me about two days to realize that I need to change the jumper on the mobo from DVI to HDMI (who thought of that over there at ASUS?) and also changed the settings in the BIOS (two in particular).

After that when I turned ATI Catalyst on I noticed that it suddenly recognized my TV as "TOSHIBA-TV", hooray. However after trying, I believe, all the available options there I couldn't get a picture on my TV. It's worth mentioning that during the whole time I also had a VGA monitor connected to the computer.

Could someone, for the love of god, tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
There's an HDMI driver you have to install. I believe the setup DVD brings it, but I also think there's a newer one over at the ATI website somewhere.

There's also frequency considerations. I also have the same board, but I will never be using with HDMI. It's either going to be VGA or DVI.
If that fails, avsforum has a thread on that board in the HTPC forum. You may want to try asking there.
I use HDMI on that mobo and it works OK but I have only the TV connected. You might try connecting only the TV and see what happens. You should get a windows desktop. Be sure the TV is turned on at boot-up and that the HDMI input is selected. If you have both connected you may have to tell GB-PVR to start on the second monitor to see anything.
zed Wrote:I use HDMI on that mobo and it works OK but I have only the TV connected. You might try connecting only the TV and see what happens. You should get a windows desktop. Be sure the TV is turned on at boot-up and that the HDMI input is selected. If you have both connected you may have to tell GB-PVR to start on the second monitor to see anything.

what zed said..
gazoo Wrote:There's an HDMI driver you have to install. I believe the setup DVD brings it, but I also think there's a newer one over at the ATI website somewhere.

There's also frequency considerations. I also have the same board, but I will never be using with HDMI. It's either going to be VGA or DVI.

I believe I installed the HDMI driver. On the DVD setup I chose the first option which installs all 4 drivers including the HDMI. I'll try updating the driver asap and see what happens.

Quote:I use HDMI on that mobo and it works OK but I have only the TV connected. You might try connecting only the TV and see what happens. You should get a windows desktop. Be sure the TV is turned on at boot-up and that the HDMI input is selected. If you have both connected you may have to tell GB-PVR to start on the second monitor to see anything.

I remember trying to disconnect the monitor and I still couldn't see anything on the TV. I didn't try installing GB-PVR yet, I just wanted to see if it works alright. By the way, let's say it did work, would I see the booting in HDMI or does it start working only when windows comes up?
Daniel Jackson Wrote:... By the way, let's say it did work, would I see the booting in HDMI or does it start working only when windows comes up?

IIRC, you'll see the initial boot screen (the Windows XP logo on the black background) on both monitors but once windows boots it depends on how you have them set up...i.e. clone, desktop extension, etc.

If you have only the TV connected, it'll behave like the primary monitor (which it is)...you'll see the usual XP desktop.
zed Wrote:IIRC, you'll see the initial boot screen (the Windows XP logo on the black background) on both monitors but once windows boots it depends on how you have them set up...i.e. clone, desktop extension, etc.

If you have only the TV connected, it'll behave like the primary monitor (which it is)...you'll see the usual XP desktop.

I see...
Well I still couldn't get it to work! I believe I tried everything...
I updated to the latest drivers, I tried to disconnect the PC monitor and have only the HDMI cable plugged, still nothing!
I can't think of anything that would cause the computer to recognize the TV but not display an image. The only thing that I haven't tried is replacing the cable, but it sounds strange that that would be the case because it does recognize the TV, anyway I'll try that. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to satisfy for normal VGA display.
are you sure you have the tv selected to the correct hdmi input
when you go into properties of the montors can you add a second monitor or is it greyed out
Hmmm...well, I dunno...it just worked for me...no problem. I used the drivers on the CD. Do you have a DVI input on your TV? Might reset the board to DVI and see if it makes any difference.

I just realized you're using Vista...I'm on XP Pro. Still, I'd think it should work but there may something different you need to do with Vista. I'm afraid I can't be of much help there...
Pages: 1 2