NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Time to pull the plug on mvpmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For several releases of mvpmc I have noticed a distinct lack of interest in anything new that I have tried to add both from the perspective of your feedback and more noticeably for me, your downloads. There still are twice as many downloads of the old (and technically obsolete) version of mvpmc that sub links to, but I haven't really even received enough anecdotal opinion in the last six months to get an idea what is the best version so if you are happy I am happy.

Therefore I think that it's time for me to stop enhancing the MediaMVP version of emulation mode.

Martin
I always take the latest version and have been very happy with how things work. Don't really need anything new, but will you be keeping things up to date as new versions of gbpvr are released or is that a dependency at all for what you've written?
I am not expecting to do the kind of thorough testing of mvpmc during the beta cycle that I have done in the past. This isn't as bad as it sounds since

- most of the mvpmc downloads are of the linked dongle in the survival guide and it was released several versions ago so the core logic is sound. The Hauppauge dongle isn't changing either

- I still will be testing the PCH code which will test emulation mode good too.

Martin
How does the mvpmc dongle differ from the default dongle in GBPVR? How do I install or try out the mvpmc dongle - do I just copy it to the Dongle folder and select it using the config gui?
observer_11 Wrote:How does the mvpmc dongle differ from the default dongle in GBPVR? How do I install or try out the mvpmc dongle - do I just copy it to the Dongle folder and select it using the config gui?

yep - that's it.

Martin - what happens to donations to mvmpc.org then? Do you guys still get it or does it go in the general sourceforge fund?
The donations go to Jon Gettler who is the mvpmc project lead to help pay for the web hosting of http://www.mvpmc.org (where the file and the code is stored). I just noticed a new name thanks. I have never even mentioned donations before because I've tried both shareware and the open source route and even with a thousand or so small cheques I prefer the free-like-beer approach.

BTW I wasn't trolling for donations or compliments nor was there any hidden meaning. I just figured that it was possible that emulation mode is nearly complete, after all it is holding up very in the port to the PCH. If other mvpmc developers can figure out how to do AC3 or play DVD ISO's or do something really exciting, I will be happy to try and introduce these for GB-PVR users.

Martin
I'd just like to say "yup, fair enough". For 99% of users, it is stable and fully-featured within the limits of the MVP while going outside the scope of Hauppauge's feature set.

What mvpmc has done for me for the MVP has been absolutely brilliant, couldn't wish for a better replacement for the original dongle. Thanks Martin; I've learned a lot, and you've been great.

Looking forward to the PCH development surging ahead too :-)

Cheers

k.
jksmurf said it for me, too.
I am still confused (what else is new Wink), can someone tell the differences between the default GBPVR dongle and this one? Basically, why does it exist - what function or features does it address that the default dongle does not? :confused:
observer_11 Wrote:I am still confused (what else is new Wink), can someone tell the differences between the default GBPVR dongle and this one? Basically, why does it exist - what function or features does it address that the default dongle does not? :confused:
For me it is:
1) more stable than the original
2) ability to Wake GBPVR server from MVP
3) the minimalistic WEBradio which Martin helped me to configure.
See also this thread mvpmc benefits as a starter
Pages: 1 2 3