NextPVR Forums

Full Version: GBPVR install on WINE/Ubuntu Gutsy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
First of all, GBPVR is not supported in WINE/LINUX and still does not run.

Having said that, since my main PVR has been out of commission for quite some time, I decided to just play around with WINE/UBUNTU (GUTSY).

I was able to install and see Config with WINE but no PVR yet. I will still play around with yet. You can check the Process running and you will see PVRX2 in the background.

For the more adventurous, here are the steps I've made to at least see the installation of GBPVR.

1. Installed latest WINE
2. Installed WineTricks
3. Installed .Net 20 via the command 'sh winetricks dotnet20'
4. Installed all Visual C Runtime 'sh winetricks vcrun6 vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2005SP1 vcrun2008'
5. Download GBPVR latest
6. Install it with 'wine msiexec /i GBPVR10209.exe'
7. Voila, GBPVR install window, it will continue until the end, then crash, then you will see empty Config Window.

I will still continue to search for other dependencies, just for fun while waiting for my new PVR machine to arrive. Maybe, somebody smarter than me can figure it out.

Thanks.
With Hardy coming out in days, I'm wondering if we'll see any good news on this front. Drivers for my card are useless in Ubuntu.
Haven't even tested my PVR500 on Ubuntu yet, just wanted to see if I could install GBPVR on WINE. At least, I saw the install program, way better when I first tried it last year.
here is a pic of GBPVR Config on Ubuntu. It's actually fun to make it wobble c/o Compiz/Beryl
I rarely use Ubuntu but I wish Windows had some of that fun stuff. Compiz makes daily computing a bit more livable.
just one question: why?
for other progs i do understand the drive behind such moves, but GBPVR? if you want to run your GBPVR server under linux, you're bound to fail, it's way to much to get running, the hardest beeing: get the damn HW to work the same, accepting the same calls via the same route (direct show has to be able to call the HW, remember, sub does not do that much regarding HW)
if you just want a linux client i think EWA will suit you better Wink
Why?

1. I miss my GBPVR, and I still don't have my new machine.
2. I know a lot of people are asking.
3. Who knows, it might work. Might be easier if sub was willing to recompile in Mono, I know it supports .Net 2.0 somewhat. (not crossing my fingers on that)
4. and finally, just for fun.
Quote:3. Who knows, it might work. Might be easier if sub was willing to recompile in Mono, I know it supports .Net 2.0 somewhat. (not crossing my fingers on that)
It wouldnt help. Trust me, the you wont be able to get it working on linux.
fhmanas Wrote:Why?

1. I miss my GBPVR, and I still don't have my new machine.
2. I know a lot of people are asking.
3. Who knows, it might work. Might be easier if sub was willing to recompile in Mono, I know it supports .Net 2.0 somewhat. (not crossing my fingers on that)
4. and finally, just for fun.

4. i understand Big Grin
3. sub said it all Big Grin
2. yeah, sure, a lot of people also ask m$ for the windows source code... some even get it under NDA...
1. i might have a solution for you: get vmware, get an usb capture device if you don't allready own one (it's the only way to get a HW capture device working inside a vm) and you have at least your recording machine again Big Grin
dunno about client playback, haven't tried & might cause some problems (VMR / overlay) but for that you can still use EWA, so you wouldn't even see the VM under linux Wink
fhmanas Wrote:3. Who knows, it might work. Might be easier if sub was willing to recompile in Mono, I know it supports .Net 2.0 somewhat. (not crossing my fingers on that)

Not a chance - parts of GBPVR (I believe) are written in managed C++ which is not, and probably never will be supported by mono.

Additionally a min of DirectShow 7 and DirectPlay would have to be implemented by wine and I doubt that will ever happen either.

However I have successfully run GBPVR on Hardy using a VirtualBox XP virtual machine - playback is crap but the rest works fine. I used a TinyTwin USB DVB with it. Its handy for testing.
Pages: 1 2 3