NextPVR Forums

Full Version: analog vs dvb-t
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys - will i notice a big difference in the quality of recording when i make the change from my analog PVR-150's to a NOVA 500 DVB-T card ?

at the mo my recordings from the pvr-150's are kinda blurring on moving pictures.... I originally thought it could have been my S-Video out to my LCD that was causing it but now i reckon its my pvr bad recording that is causing the issues because playing a dvd today looked pretty sweet

cheers
skip
the client wont work for a start
your main pc will struggle to even be able to do it

dvbs is the way to go unless you have dual core
stustunz Wrote:the client wont work for a start
your main pc will struggle to even be able to do it

dvbs is the way to go unless you have dual core

Hi stustunz - i wasnt going to go to a hi-def card so thought that my setup would be able to do the DVB-T standard def or is that not the case ? i hardly use my client now - my 52mb wifi card died so now i only have a 11mb one in (must sort that out) so thats not really a show stopper
the problem is you dont have a choice you get what they give you
so one program may be hd and the next may be sd
it all over the place
where as with dvbs at least you know its SD all the way but digital so crystal clear
stustunz Wrote:the problem is you dont have a choice you get what they give you
so one program may be hd and the next may be sd
it all over the place
where as with dvbs at least you know its SD all the way but digital so crystal clear

why cant it be simple god damn it.....are there any video clips that can be downloaded to test if the machine can play HD content ?
what tv do you have ?
i tired the dvbt thing on my sd tv no advantage unless you have a hd tv
but the difference between pvr150 to dvbs is night and day but from there to dvbt only shows up if you have a display that can show the extra resolution
there was a link to some hd content somewhere on the forum
stustunz Wrote:what tv do you have ?
i tired the dvbt thing on my sd tv no advantage unless you have a hd tv
but the difference between pvr150 to dvbs is night and day but from there to dvbt only shows up if you have a display that can show the extra resolution
there was a link to some hd content somewhere on the forum

i bought a 42" samsung lcd - i think its a 720p set - i downloaded some 720p test movie files from the site below - the 720p played perfect - still downloading some 1080p stuff to test

do you think the files here a valid representation of 720p and 1080p content recorded via a DVB-t card ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows...wcase.aspx
well after downloading both 720p and 1080p files they seem to play ok - ie playback seemed to be pretty smooth - granted i couldnt notice a difference bewteen them on my 720p set but my system seemed to be able to handle it - i played in windowed mode also and my cpu looked to be running at 70% for the 720p and about 80% to 90% for the 1080p content (is that what you were meaning about it not being good enough ?)

i just need to know now if that was a valid representation of what im going to get out of a DVB-T tuner card.

if you reckon these files have been hacked and smacked together by MS then does anyone have a short clip that i could download to test with.

cheers
Skip
SD is hugely better than analogue.

Your video card is crucial, some support hardware accelerated playback of SD & HD content, which makes a huge difference. What card do you have?
If you have a poor analog signal and you can get a decent signal via the DVB-T receiver, then you will definitely notice a difference, especially on a TFT/Plasma TV.

/Dan.
Pages: 1 2