NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Has anyone tried the infamous "Bird Scene" with a PCH?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading the other thread "upgrading for HD" and the PCH was recommended, and it got me to thinking. The Bird scene is the only thing I've found so far that will choke my HTPC to death twice over (100% on one core, 60+% on core two). I'm wondering how it fares with the bird scene. Anyone with a PCH wanna give it a try? Or perhaps has tried? Curiosity....ohhh the curiosity...

--Andy
I'm game...where can I find the file?
I haven't tried it yet myself since I'm currently at work, but it looks as if this infamous file can be found here: http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583/kil...4.mkv.html
Yep. That's the one. Stupid birds. It starts off nice and goes downhill form there.... I need a quadcore <mumblegrumblemumblegrumble>

--Andy
That's a pretty cool file. No PCH, but out of curiosity... 2.8ghz Core2Duo = 57% with KMplayer, 52% with MediaPlayer Classic and GBPVR, and 42% with VLC but VLC displayed it with much corruption for some reason.

Rapidshare's downloading hoops sure are a PITA to jump through with the stupid cat variations on the letters.
This has been discussed quite a bit on the NMT forums and there are two problems, the bit rate is extreme over 42 Mbs when all the birds starts but the real culprit is that it is the PCH only supports up to HP@L4.1 and the 1080p scene release was HP@L5.1 It can be remuxed to play with GBPVR or the other HTTP servers but not from a share.

Martin
Well, I tried playing the clip on the PCH. It started OK but after a few seconds it would freeze for a second, then a burst of video, then freeze again, then more video, then freeze, etc, with the video bursts progressively shorter. Could it be the network? It actually played better here on my PC with a lowly 6100 video card. I don't have anything on my spiffy dual-core GB-PVR client box that would play it but I'll work on that.

Looks like Martin's and my posts crossed in the mail. Guess that explains it...
Folks over at the XBMC forums explains that the HP@L5.1 encoding is actually a higher bitrate than the Blue Ray standard, which is HP@L4.1.

I don't really know what all that means Big Grin, but I'm guessing 1080p HP@L4.1 encoding will be a fairly long lasting consumer standard.
It plays fine for me on the PCH until the last few seconds where there are 2 slight stutters.
-stattik- Wrote:It plays fine for me on the PCH until the last few seconds where there are 2 slight stutters.

Interesting. Mine stuttered significantly more but I was reading the file off the network. Did you by chance play it off a connected hard drive or flash drive?
Pages: 1 2