NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Connection advice please!?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking for some advise before I purchase the cables to hook my stuff together and get the best Audio/Video possible.

I just started to hook up everything, but am not sure on how to get audio. I have from my directv box via s-video to my HVR1600 s-video then s-video out on 6600GT to my Philips Tv, but I don't have sound. Not sure how I will connect that from the directv to computer. I will be putting a DVI to HDMI cable from my video card to TV so I have a better picture, but I would like to hear some suggestions from everyone that has experience for the best sound and picture.

Please include types of cable with or without adapters when making suggestions.

I have the system currently setup on the new version of GBPVR with the remote control working and controlling the H21 box but of course no sound on live tv.

Here is what I have :

TV
[Image: 128_large.JPG]

Directv H21 box
[Image: H21_det_zoomA.jpg]

Motherboard - the Coax and Fiber are output
[Image: A8NSLI_rear.jpg]

Capture device
[Image: quick_2.jpg]
use the audio in on hvr card from the sat box...[rca red/white to 1/8" headphone jack on hvr1500] for audio in..

if you are using hdmi out to tv, then use hdmi #1 on tv, with the audio coming from sound card out to the audio jacks next to the hdmi plug on tv..[#7 on tv with hdmi #6] nv6600 doesn't have audio inside hdmi so has to be separate..

i didn't see any coax or fibre input on tv or i'd use those for sound if selectable with the hdmi inputs... [can't read the tv pic enough,tooo small] [tv #8?]
otherwise just connect computer to stereo with best available jacks..[optical,coax,6-ch separates] Smile
I think where I wasn't sure was using the red white rca to an adapter into the HVR.

Thanks
yea, that is a kinda odd one, but the hardware encoder on the cards can only accept input directly into themselves, they can't compress anything they don't capture...those cables usually come with the card tho..Smile

but if your tv has coax input, use that from MB output...simplest and excelllent quality + multi-channel..[but the tv usually just has 2 speakers, so it gets downmixed anyways..lol] but at least it's a digital connection..[low noise]
The thing that kinda doesn't look right is the audio from the DirecTV box to the card. Is there something I can get that will capture a better quality sound?

My DirecTV box has fiber audio out. Can I get a card for my computer for fiber audio in or does it have to go through that HVR1600 card?
It would have to go through the card in order to record. You may be able to run it into your soundcard via spdif for live tv but you may have audio/video sync issues. The sound would not be recorded that way either.
if the audio is not right check the cable try a different one (not saying they have to be real expensive but of reasonable quality)
you have to hav the audio going into the card otherwise the card cant combine it into the resulting mpeg file that it encodes
Is there a capture card that has a digital input for capturing? Or even HDMI?