NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Advice for not quite as cheap guy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 7 year old all purpose PC (per sig) has been running GBPVR like a champ for almost 3 years, primarily to serve an MVP. However, it's starting to fail, and thanks to the high WAF of GBPVR, along with a stimulus check from Uncle Sam, I am looking to build a new dedicated GBPVR system. My head is spinning from all the choices/suggestions available, and I bow to the hardware gurus here for advice.

System will not be an HTPC next to the TV, it will basically be a server for MVP's and maybe PCH in the future, so it doesn't need to be silent, but cool and quiet would be nice. I can use the PVR500 and PVR150 out of the old box. I also have an HVR1600 which I would like to use for OTA ATSC (which I couldn't get to work in the old system). I'm not HD yet, but would like to allow for that in the future, maybe with PCH.

I think this is what I want to put in my Newegg shopping cart:

1. Case with PS - Functional and bargain more important than pretty.

2. MoBo - Good integrated graphics, 3 PCI slots for tuners. This is where I get lost. Too many choices.

3. CPU - Core2duo? AMD? best price point right now. Will be comskipping and potentially transcoding ATSC for the MVP.

4. 2 GB RAM

5. 500 GB HD - I have external HDD's available and an external DVD burner.

What is the best I can get for ~ $500?
Outstanding! Thanks