NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Building a server with Vista, any advice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Specifically, does the HVR-1600 have any Vista issues? I read a problem with 4GB and Vista, but I'm only going to have 2GB.

Also, any generic issues with GB-PVR and Vista? I plan on switching off UAC and search, etc. - are there any other things I should do?

My build:
2GB RAM
2.5GHz X2 AMD 45W processor
780g uATX Gigabyte mobo with ATI IGP HD3200 (I'm a masochist, what can I say)
500GB HDD
HVR-1600 with remote
Vista Ultimate SP1
Other than QAM problems that I am convinced is due to my cable operator, I've not had any problems with my HVR1600 running in Vista Ultimate. I've used it with both GBPVR and Media Center and have had great luck. I am running it with 3GB of RAM and the first thing I do when I install Vista is turn off UAC.
The only minor problems I've had with Vista and GBPVR have been MVP/Firewall/Router related and have been worked out. Seems that it just takes a little more tweaking is all.
All in all, I don't see what the negative fuss is about with Vista. Yes some programs are not as fast but the difference is so minor, it's not very noticeable.
I just finished my build below. The only issue was initially installing GBPVR, but that was due to not turning off UAC.

So far everything is good. I just need to figure out how to play bluray DVDs without leaving GBPVR.

I don't have a 1600, but I have to say Vista is ok.