NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Asus M2NPV-VM system setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi Guys,

We've had a Polaroid standalone DVR for a year or so now and have just loved it, but it's got some short comings so I took the plunge and built a HTPC last weekend. I got as far as software loading and ran out of time and I've been on overtime all this week so I wont get back to this till later today.

I wanted to try MythTV but I'm not familiar with Linux and my job has been requiring a lot of overtime lately so I don't have much free time to devote to software playing. I thought about KnoppMyth but the new version of MythTV has been out for two and half months and they still don't have a new installer out for it and the idea of having to wait every time a new version comes out isn't very appealing.

I have a spare copy of Windows XP Pro available so I thought I'd load Windows today and then look around and see what's available on the Windows platform and GBPVR popped right up!

As I said, my time is a bit short these days so I thought I'd post the specs of the system and see if anyone has any tips that may save me some time.

HTPC system:
*) Motherboard - Asus M2NPV-VM
*) CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ with the 65nm core
*) Memory - 2 gigs Kingston DDR2 800 mhz
*) Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
*) DVD burner - BenQ DW1640
*) Tuner card - Gateway OEM PVR-150, came with an usb ir receiver / blaster unit and remote (I do plan on adding another tuner card or two, I just came across that one cheap)
*) Case - Antec NSK-2480
*) Operating system - Windows XP Pro SP2

TV it's hooked to:
*) Nothing special! Just an old Toshiba 27" CRT unit. No immediate plans for an upgrade, but you never know if someone runs a special. It has composite inputs and a SVHS input so I planned on using the SVHS.

As I said, I'm going to load Windows today. After that I thought I'd load GBPVR - any tips?

*) Should I use the drivers from the mother board CD or are there better ones out there for this motherboard?
*) I see there are some "time stamp" issues with the PVR-150s? Are the drivers from the Haupaugge web site OK (i.e. have they addressed this issue and released newer drivers?) or do I need to load alternate drivers? If so, which ones?
*) We would like to use this as a DVR and also play DVDs from it, anything special that needs done for DVD playback?
*) Loading a MAME game player might be fun, are there any other "must have" plug ins I should look at?

Thanks Guys! Can't wait to start playing with this!!!

Steve
Here are a few suggestions/comments:

Your system is fine for SDTV; the Geforce 6150 integrated graphics may not be up to the task for reliable HDTV. But, I'd give it a try before spending any money. A Geforce 6200 worked great for me on SDTV feeding a CRT TV, but was inadequate for an LCD TV at 1366X768, even with SD content.

You will need MPEG2 video and audio decoders, and, for DVDs, a decoder that can de-encrypt the DVD. The Hauppauge drivers include a decoder that works with recordings, but not with DVDs (doesn't decrypt). A free video decoder that others recommend is the MPV decoder. I'd start there before spending any money. If you got DVD player (PowerDVD, for example) software with your DVD drive, then you should have a decoder. There is also a MPV audio decoder and you can try the AC3 filter decoder also.

I would use the latest driver package from Hauppauge; I'm using it with no time stamp problems, but I made the registry tweaks also. Look at the timestamp thread on this forum for further info. Install the complete Hauppauge package which includes their PVR program WinTV. Use this to check out the PVR150 before installing/configuring GBPVR.

I don't know if the integrated Geforce uses the same drivers as discrete cards. Many have reported better results with older drivers (80 or 90 series) for SD video. The key points are to get DXVA (hardware) working and the interlacing set right. These are decoder dependent, so you may have to experiment. There is lots of information on the forum for the Nvidia Purevideo and Cyberlink (PowerDVD) decoders (search for posts by csy). Do not leave the GBPVR decoder settings in the Config program at "System Default".

By all means use the S-video output to the TV. Also, set your video card resolution to 720X480 for NTSC (US) TV. The windows desktop will be unuseable, but GBPVR and the video will look fine.

Good luck. PVR on a PC is definitely not plug and play, so enjoy the tweaking.
I'd like to throw int he recommendation that you get everything working properly BEFORE you even think about GBPVR. I'm not saying don't use GBPVR, but the way it works is that it uses the underlying windows structure to do all of it's playback, and if things aren't working in windows, they definitely wont work in GBPVR.

Once you have the software installed for all the bits you're using, and everything is happy in windows, you should be able to install GBPVR and dive right in. But if you don't get it working in windows first, it will do nothing but compound the headaches and frustrate you and you'll end up lighting the computer on fire :p

--Andy
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it!

Doing a little research this morning it looks like the 80 series NVidea video drivers work but don't allow for SD overscan adjustment. The 93.71 does. The latest version is 169.21, but I haven't found it if it causes any issues or not . . . anyone out there running this board who could offer any thoughts?

Good to know on the PVR-150 drivers - I'll get their latest package downloaded right away.

I do have PowerDVD that came with the drive so I'll give a shot at loading it.

I do plan on getting Windows loaded and bug free first, I was just looking for heads up on the htpc specific things . . . one of the reasons I'm kinda leaning away from Linux and Myth is because of the limited driver options/support.

Thanks again!

Steve
You have a pretty much similair system to me and you should find it will handle almost everything you throw at it ( barring HD which is not something i have access to).

a simple way of coving all the options in regards codecs is to use ffdshow - it has codecs built in, can be used with GBPVR and allows you 'improve' the quality of avi files. also find 'quicktime alternative' and perhaps 'realplayer alternative' the former being used by the excellent 'int cinema listings plugin'

Also recommended are 'weather' and 'music library 2', but there are thread devoted to the best plugins.

If you hit any problems with GBPVR, find the logs directory in the GBPVR root folder, zip and attatch them to the post and give a rundown of the problem, sub will likely sort things in no time!

Also if you wonder about 'muxes' there is also a thread on here about the best ones to use!

Regards Stu
Also, to really use GBPVR, you will need a program guide source. For the US, that's pretty much Schedules Direct. It's not free (but not expensive), but there is a 30 day trial which will give you time to get things working.

Also, read the Wiki - lots of good stuff there for configuration.

Your PowerDVD decoders (will probably show up as Cyberlink PowerDVD in the GBPVR config application) should work just fine. Many people use them. For DVDs, I think you should use the Cyberlink navigator with the Cyberlink decoders.

I second the advice about getting things working in Windows. After getting the PVR150 sorted in WinTV, try playing the files you record in Windows Media Player. If they work there, they almost certainly will/can be made to work in GBPVR.

Also also, try the GBPVR.exe interface first, before trying PVRX2.exe. GBPVR is less sophisticated so will remove one layer of complexity for getting things going. Also, with a SD CRT TV, it will look just as good, imho.
Thanks Guys!

Unfortunately we've had thunderstorms rolling through since I got off work today and they are still rumbling through (in fact I just booted up to check the weather service radar since it had calmed down and I wanted to see if anything else was headed our way . . . there is! Grrrr!) so I haven't been able to play - just didn't want to get half way through a software load and have the power wink and corrupt things.

I'm hoping to get on it tomorrow after work - I'll post back how it all goes.

Stu8080 - which video driver are you using?

Thanks again!

Steve
I am using that exact board. The system works great on GBPVR. I have used the Svid out, but now mainly use a MVP just because of my wiring in the house makes this easier. I installed VNC before I started using it on my TV so if I really messed up the video settings, I could VNC in and see the interface. I got it working pretty good on Svid, but I never got it quite as good as through the TV tuner. Most of my issues were with scrolls on racing and sports channels. Good luck, let us know how it comes out and post your settings if you like what you see.
I have the same mobo. I feed HD up to 1080i with a DVI to HDMI cable and it works flawlessly. With the newer BIOSs from Asus you can allocate a lot of RAM for the onboard 6150 which helps quite a bit. I am using the 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe drivers. They allow for overscan settings and such. Currently my native desktop is 1200x700.
I'm using the MX version of that board with no probs (only difference is less TV connectors on my board).

Few tips - remember to set the wake on USB jumpers on the motherboard, in order to use a MCE remote for example (to bring the box out of standby). You can set each block of USB ports seperatly in order to save power if need be.

Also, the GeForce 6150 is fine for HD (certainly 720p) providing you use the CoreAVC decoder, which uses significantly less CPU power than other decoders out there.

Also, remember to set qfan in the Asus Probe II software, in order to get the CPU fan spinning down when there's nothing going on. Plus I guess the cool and quiet driver. Also, Minimal Power Management mode needs to be set in the Power Options in Control Panel to activate the CnQ.

Can't think of anything else at the mo!

Good luck Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5