NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDMI or Component on PCH - which best if any?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My head is spinning. New PCH a couple of weeks ago and 1080p HD TV yesterday (Dixons auction).

I appear to have the PCH HDMI problem that I've seen mentioned on their forum - a 'no signal' message on the TV, but by shifting to another TV source and back it returns. MVPMCX2, once it is up and running seems fine now, but is a bit of a faff to get running (telnet fine, gbpvr gives the no signal problem, but swapping TV inputs brings it back).

I'm wondering what, in general, the pro's and con's of component over HDMI are? I don't have any component cables and not enough plugs to make one up. It would be about a 40 mile round trip to get some to try - which is why I'm asking first.

Martins software is running fine and I'm impressed with his and subs integration of the PCH. I'm still trying to remember the new remote layout though.
i used to get this using dvi on a projector
if you turn the brightness and contrast up slightly does it still do it (on pch)
I haven't tried component on the PCH but I think that HDMI generally gives better picture quality vs. component. Either one beats hell out of SD but I think HDMI is better. As always, YMMV...
Did you do the Setup Audio/Video option from the PCH software and choose HDMI as the output mode and save it? It made things a lot more stable for me.

Martin
HDMI passes audio over the cable, so you would only need the single cable if you are using a receiver which can decode HDMI audio, or just using a TV.
HDMI also means you wont be converting from digital to analog to digital (so theoretically better picture quality).

You could just use plugs from something else to give it a shot (you must have a set of RCA plugs somewhere!)
mvallevand Wrote:Did you do the Setup Audio/Video option from the PCH software and choose HDMI as the output mode and save it? It made things a lot more stable for me.

Martin

Yes, set it up as 1080p 50Hz and HDMI with the PCH software.
Once the PCH is up and running your software and the TV is reset, it all works fine. It is just one oddity when the PCH powers up that upsets it and when your software starts up. I don't know if it a TV problem, a PCH problem or both... Looking at the PCH forum it is on the bug list as a "much reported" problem.

Ted... Wrote:HDMI passes audio over the cable, so you would only need the single cable if you are using a receiver which can decode HDMI audio, or just using a TV.
HDMI also means you wont be converting from digital to analog to digital (so theoretically better picture quality).

You could just use plugs from something else to give it a shot (you must have a set of RCA plugs somewhere!)

I might try another HDMI cable as there are some reports of problems with the PCH ones (and I may be able to borrow one locally).
Over in Europe, RCA (phono) plugs aren't used as much as in the US, dvd's, videos etc all have SCART connectors instead, so I really don't have any.

Thanks all, I'll let you know how I get on.

Martin
martint123 Wrote:I might try another HDMI cable as there are some reports of problems with the PCH ones (and I may be able to borrow one locally).
Over in Europe, RCA (phono) plugs aren't used as much as in the US, dvd's, videos etc all have SCART connectors instead, so I really don't have any.
crazy Europeans!
well, I would bet some thick wires would work Smile
Beg borrowed and stole three phono cables.
Well it works with component as it should but the picture isn't as good and it reminds me of the old faithful MVP - a dark image.

I'm going to persist with HDMI and see what I can make happen. As I say, once Martins software is up and running on the PCH, it seems to work fine.