NextPVR Forums

Full Version: S-video Shape correction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I've googled my butt off out there to find the answer but I can't seem to find it.

My "problem" is this:

When I attach my media center to my (crt) TV via s-video (or composite) then, the shape of my picture isn't a perfect square... The upper side is slightly round.
Also there like a 0.5cm border around my picture, so my entire screen isn't used.

The only option that removes the border and makes the picture a square is the zoom function in the nvidia panel, only problem is that it zooms too much so I can't see my taskbar anymore.

any suggestions?
I've tried fooling around with the advanced timing functions in the nvidia control panel but that didn't changed a bit.

Any suggestions? Or is this unsolvable.

There's no normal screen attached to it so theoretically I could set a non-windows resolution. (that's just a tought)

any suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Kindt Nick
1.does your desktop fit ok ?
2.or only gbpvr doesnt full whole screen ?
3.whats resolution do you have it set to ?
4.what frequency also ?
5.what video card do you have ?
6.operating system?
7what driver version for the video card?
it sounds like you have geometry issues with your video card, GB-PVR does not have much adjustment for TVs, the only thing we have is the overscan correction mentioned here:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post203945
I am not sure if that is applicable anymore, so ymmv.

as I remember NVIDIA's handling of TVs was pretty annoying. I like ATI's handling where you can use a "video mode" which formats its output much like a VCR or DVD player (1:1 pixel mapping, so the resolution is 720x480... no the pixels are NOT square Smile, and no adjustments for screen size or geometry. ) I found that produces the best picture quality on a TV, but I could not find the settings in the NVIDIA driver to do the same thing (I was trying this two years ago... so it may be different now). and that is where the overscan adjustments come in (they make sure that you can see the whole GB-PVR menu on the screen) since most video is designed to be played on a TV with some overscan.

more fun research about overscan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

so my suggestion is that you need to be messing with your video card's settings. there are numerous threads around here which discuss that.
Ted the Penguin Wrote:it sounds like you have geometry issues with your video card, GB-PVR does not have much adjustment for TVs, the only thing we have is the overscan correction mentioned here:...

Indeed, it's exactly the same result with my laptop (also nvidia card)
My problem was that I just could find the right keyword for googling it.
thnx, I will try to found Out some more

stustunz Wrote:1.does your desktop fit ok ?
2.or only gbpvr doesnt full whole screen ?
3.whats resolution do you have it set to ?
4.what frequency also ?
5.what video card do you have ?
6.operating system?
7what driver version for the video card?

1/2 No, it's exactly the same with my desktop
3. 800x600 or 1024x768, it's the same result
4. pal-b ==> 50Hz
5. nvidia gforce4 ti4200 agp8x
6. Win xp pro sp3 (completely stripped down to just run gbpvr)
7. 6.14.10.9371

thx,
nick
Combination of
1. using TVtool ==> full screen mode (==> some of my desktop image is clipped)
2. overscan mode:
<OverScanBorderX1>20</OverScanBorderX1>
<OverScanBorderY1>5</OverScanBorderY1>
<OverScanBorderX2>25</OverScanBorderX2>
<OverScanBorderY2>5</OverScanBorderY2>

did the job for me...
Now my tv-screen is fully filled

Really stupid that nvidia can't write drives just do the opposite of the overscan mode (==> strechting the image)

thx,
nick
Maybe try Power strip to create a custom dislay screen.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

I did this while I was in Australia, because there was too much border for my liking.

BTW, maybe the curving is actually your TV tube. Because the edge of the picture is a straight line, you see the curve in the screen. If you expand out the desktop, the curve will still be there, but the distortion won't be as noticable.

Everyonce in a while, whne theres a picture of a building next to the edge of the screen I still see a distortion...
yes, indeed, the curving is caused by my tv. But still I still have a border (~1cm around my screen)
When I use the full screen option in TVTOOL then my whole screen is filled but my desktop is clipped (so the image exceeds my tv screen)
Then, when I use the overscan mode, the I can reduse GPBVR to fit my screen exactly, but still my desktop is clipped...

It seems like I'm facing an overscan problem within my driver. So underscan would be the solution therefore;
- I've tried fooling aroud with the frond and back port within power strip. But the only thing I got out of it were get is sync-errors.
- Also tried setting alternative resolution but is no luck...

Looks like the only thing I need is a some sort of tool that zooms my desktop.

To give you guys a clou;
in the left is a (temporary solution) with TVTOOL and overscan option enabled within gbpvr
in the right is the "normal" situation. You can perfectly see the borderd around gbpvr
[Image: tv.jpg]