NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Would a Pentium E2200 cut it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I've currently got things setup with an old AMD Athlon 64 3000+. I notice when watching realtime shows (with timeshifting enabled), my audio starts to go out of sync. This is an issue with both dedicated and mobo audio, and I've got a Geforce 6200 video card, so I figure it's the CPU being bottlenecked.

Do you folks think moving to a Pentium E2200 would be enough? Any other recommendations? Preferally, a lower power solution (maybe with a mobile type CPU).

Or for $20 more, I can get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+

Thanks

Current setup is
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1GB DDR
Hauppage WinTV HVR-1600
GeForce 6200 LE
The audio sync problem isn't likely a CPU bottleneck, but either a decoder problem or the recording format. I'm using an AMD 2500+ for HD playback without trouble.

Is this a digital channel recorded in .TS format? If so, it's a known problem though the latest release is supposed to fix some of these issues. Also, most people don't have this problem if using DVR-MS format.

Post more info about your problem, the decoders used for both video and audio, recording format, etc. and we can probably help more. Also, if you search the forums for audio sync problems you'll find lots of help.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess it's a configuration thing. I just installed the latest version, and I'll see if things improve.

My problem may be, I don't know if I have the WinTV card doing the processing anymore. I use to be able to find the setting in an older version, but not sure where it is now.

Plus I've been chaning playback codecs to let me watch h.264 (?) stuff, so I may have a codec that doesn't like live TV.
I was also about to say the same..audio sync is something else. If you are planning on H.264, I would recommend a dual core processor of some kind with at least 2.0GHz or above clock rate. 1080P, no hardware acceleration only software H.264, I have an AMD X2 3800+ running at around 75-80% just to give you an idea. If you're only planning on 1080i, then something less is ok (runs at 43% for me with the 3800+)

Don't always count on HA either when buying stuff, make believe HA won't work and size the CPU for that just in case. I say this because HA is many times tricky and cumbersome to get running. It all depends on codecs, codec merit, reg settings, OS (XP vs Vista), AGP vs PCI-E, renderer, etc. i.e., alot of crap not always under your control unless you've spent weeks playing with the particular setup (like me Smile ).