NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Have 1600-HVR, Can U Suggest brand for 2nd Digital OTA tuner?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have a Hauppauge 1600 dual analog and digital. Works great. I want to add another card to capture digital OTA. Can you recommend what a good 2nd card would be?

I checked availability of the PVR 150, i cannot find it retail anywhere, not sure if it was digital but i think so.

Good to stay with same brand, or would there be driver issues?

If anyone has a 1600 as well as a 2nd card, let me know what you are using. THanks all,
morser Wrote:Hello,

I have a Hauppauge 1600 dual analog and digital. Works great. I want to add another card to capture digital OTA. Can you recommend what a good 2nd card would be?

I checked availability of the PVR 150

There are a couple of things in your post to address

1TongueVR 150 is not a digital tuner so it will not serve your purpose,
2:What kind of expantion slots do you have ie. PCI, PCIe as there are many different cards that have OTA digital but they may only be either PCI or PCIe

I have an HVR 1600 and just recently got a USB dongle Hauppauge hvr 950q (q is for QAM), but there is a very similar dongle called the 950 but will not do qam but does ATSC OTA and is a lot cheaper. I had no problems getting them to work together

But i originally had the pvr 150 and then tried to install the 1600 and had issues
Sorry I should have stated the type of card slot. PCI or USB would be my only option.

I was trying to stay away from USB dongles, I don't know why, just because they were external, but if you had no major issues with the 950q, i'll give the 950 a try. thank you very much. Looking at the compat list on the GBPVR Wiki, there aren't much ATSC tuners to choose from.
As far as i am aware any device that does OTA atsc will work, as it is a standard format, the problem comes in with QAM as maufacturers have implemented the process slightly differently causing issues with being accesses in GBPVR. As far as i am aware there are not that many PCI ATSC tuners out there as PCI is old technology, but i have see quite a few USB devices,

I think there is an ATI pro 650 PCI
Kworld has a PCI card see link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6815260007

and i have tried KWorlds USB dongle http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6815260013
and the OTA atsc side works great, i just had issues with QAM

and i think pinnacle has a card as well see link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...bHD%2bCard

I am pretty happy with my 950 but never tried it with OTA only QAM

Also you might find the even cheaper hvr 850, looks just like the 950 and does the same thing, not sure that it exists anymore, but i saw them at the local store for around $55.

Well have fun, if you have a good antenna (this is probably key to getting reliable reception) then any of these should work fine
Going with the 950. thanks. got a great deal off ebay.
I've got 2 1600 cards in my system. I don't even HAVE cable!
I have two HVR-1600 tuner cards in my computer. I use the digital side to record over-the-air digital stations, and the analog side to pick up the few channels I'm interested in on cable. I can record four shows at once if needed, though there's rarely more than two shows on at the same time that I'm interested in.

Anthony
With one 1600, has anyone noticed that when you schedule gbpvr to record a season on a digitial channel, if that particular channel is busy, it will try to record it on analog if it's also showing there? I set up all my recordings for my digitial channels, there are conflicts, and now i see some recording on the analog. I would like to be able to set priorities to the scheduled recordings, so that some recordings can take precedence over others if all tuners are busy.

BTW, even with the 1600, i am unable to use the analog side while the digital side is busy, say recording a show for example. when i pick an analog channel, it goes black for a second then back to the TV guide.
also Anthony, you have no driver issues with two of the same brand/model cards?

i'm thinking of adding two 950's to my 1600.
Morser,

Quote:you have no driver issues with two of the same brand/model cards?

No problems that I have noticed. I just installed the driver once, and both cards seem to make use of it.

Ironically, the only problem I've seen with two cards is with Hauppauge's own software. WinTV doesn't make it very easy to select between the two cards, and their digital signal strength monitor doesn't let you select which card you're using. I have to disable one card in Device Manager to be able to test the signal strength of each card. But, once you have your system set up, there's not much need for that.

Quote:has anyone noticed that when you schedule gbpvr to record a season on a digitial channel, if that particular channel is busy, it will try to record it on analog if it's also showing there?

You need to configure which channels are available to each source in GBPVR's config app. Select each source, and remove any channels that tuner doesn't receive.

Quote:even with the 1600, i am unable to use the analog side while the digital side is busy, say recording a show for example. when i pick an analog channel, it goes black for a second then back to the TV guide.

The two tuners should be separate. I suspect the problem is related to your other problem above, where you haven't properly defined the channels for each tuner.

Also, make sure you are setting up separate sources for the "digital" half of the 1600 and another for the "analog" half in GBPVR's config app.

Anthony
Pages: 1 2