NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Bugger - looks like another dead PCH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just sat watching a recording and the screen went blank. Pressed the "any" key, nothing. Powered on/off - nothing. Tried composite cable, short "loading" screen (out of sync, but it always seems to be in PAL land for me) then blank screen.
Off with the lid - 12v present at disk connector. Bugger.
Try a number of times, sometimes "loading" followed by blank screen.
Copy recovery files to USB stick, power up, loading screen, blank screen, none of the mentioned screen colours and no indication of reading the stick. Bugger.
Have a feel of the big heatsink - not too hot (and never has been) but I now have a nasty burn on the end of my finger from touching the RealTek Ethernet chip. Bugger.

email on it's way to support.

MVP rapidly dragged out of the cupboard. What an awful picture compared to the PCH. (I couldn't compare before as the TV was changed at the same time as the MVP > PCH)
Did you try to reset the video first with Tvmode 0 or as follows:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...tial_setup.

Martin
Thanks for your thoughts. , but sorry, should have included that in the list above. TVMode + 6 for 1080p was tried shortly aftre the "any" key.

I reckon it's dead - the ethernet chip gets to blister forming temperatures in seconds after switch on, I daren't leave it on much longer or I think smoke would be next.

Martin
any word from sybas?
Ted the Penguin Wrote:any word from sybas?

Yes, coincidentally suggested the same as Martin. The problem with being so many timezones in front or behind them is there is at least a days delay for each way comms.

It looks like something is fried or frying. Powered up from cold it runs for about 5 minutes (on composite as I've moved it into the shack and only have composite into PVR15 to look at).
The Realtek Ethernet chip just about raises steam if I lick the end of my finger and dab it on. There is no MAC address display in setup and setting a fixed IP address doesn't "stick" so it looks like it can't see the ethernet device when booting up.

Once it's had it's 5 minutes, teh screen blanks again and the green LED goes out. If I try again it only lasts a couple of minutes unless it is left for a bit to cool down. The big chip doesn't seem to be overheating though.

Bummer, just as I've got used to it. I'm only relieved that I didn't shove the MVP on ebay or I would have been kicked out of the house by now Smile
Do you have a wireless USB dongle which will work with the PCH? (I know the selection is limited)

It won't give you good playback, but might prove if it's the ethernet chip - you could leave it going for a while, see if it goes blank again.

Thanks
I haven't got a supported dongle. With the PCH only staying on for 5 minutes maximum from cold and then shorter times I don't think it's worth any more testing at the moment.
To me, the missing MAC address and non-sticking IP address from the setup page tells me that the ethernet device isn't being seen when the kernel loads.

When the screen goes blank and the green LED goes out, the PSU voltage goes up a smidgen from 11.97 to 12.03 which makes me think the think has just switched itself off as 12.03 is close to the no-load voltage of the PSU.
it sounds like you fried your Ethernet chip, and should RMA
Ted the Penguin Wrote:it sounds like you fried your Ethernet chip, and should RMA

"I FRIED IT ":mad: It self immolated!

Looking on their forum, it looks like they might be using that chip as a fuse!
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewto...sc&start=0
martint123 Wrote:"I FRIED IT ":mad: It self immolated!

it was in your possession, therefore you must have done itWink... I hear it is temperamental and if you look at it funny it will short out :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4