NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PC Shutting off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure exactly what's going on, but It has happened twice now. I thaught it was a fluke before, but twice in a month is more than a fluke. The only thing I've done rescently is change my power supply. Went from a stock Ultra 400w ps to a 420w Corsair modular ps. When I wake up, pc is cold and green light is on front. I have to turn off the PS and then turn back on and then I can restart the pc.

Any idea how I can figure out what's going on?

(there are no signes of p/s failure, it's not too hot and not making any excess noise)

Thanks
Sped
Anyone?
Overheating?
elite Wrote:Overheating?
That would be my guess. Have you tried stressing it with something like Prime95 (or any over-clocking stability stress tool) and seeing if it turns off. MBM5 is useful to check temps also.
By green light, is that the power light or HD activity light?

I ask because I've experienced a few flaky moments with my setup, which by their nature I'd put down to mobo or power supply, and given I have a similar power supply (the 520w Corsair version) I was wondering if the symptoms were similar?

For me it can happen anytime, while the HTPC is in use or not. The system freezes and shortly after the screen (TV) goes black and looses the graphics card signal. The HD activity light stays on permanently and all system fans and HD keeps running. The system won't reboot properly until the power is cut to the PC.

Is that similar in anyway?

I'm running the 520w Corsiar and a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mainboard.
Sorry for the brief reply above - was quickly posting at work!

I used to have issues with overheating (seems my 350 was getting rather toasty!). I've had no problems since removing the side panel to allow more airflow (I have to say the temp here in the uk hasn't really been high enough to test it though :madSmile

HTH and might give you something to focus your investigatiion on, maybe try leaving a spare slot either side of some of you 'warmer' expansion cards?
Hairy Wrote:By green light, is that the power light or HD activity light?

For me it can happen anytime, while the HTPC is in use or not. The system freezes and shortly after the screen (TV) goes black and looses the graphics card signal. The HD activity light stays on permanently and all system fans and HD keeps running. The system won't reboot properly until the power is cut to the PC.

Is that similar in anyway?

ok,

Green light is the power light, not the HD light, but other than that your situation is almost the same. I wake up, turn the tv on and there's no video signal going to the tv. NOt sure if this is what crashes first (I'm in bed when it happens). As far as the other system fans running, I didn't notice them, but I'll check if it happens again.

elite Wrote:I've had no problems since removing the side panel to allow more airflow (I have to say the temp here in the uk hasn't really been high enough to test it though )

HTH and might give you something to focus your investigatiion on, maybe try leaving a spare slot either side of some of you 'warmer' expansion cards?

My case is actually a matx case. I have both side pannels off, but it is in a fairly enclosed space, there is however room for air to get in the front, and to exit the rear, also a fan drawing air in front and a 120mm on the back pushing it out. Also, I'm running an older celeron, so I don't think it's the cpu getting hot if anything. As for expansion cards, I have an agp video card (1300pro) and my pvr150. That's it, so not able to realy move anything.

McBainUK Wrote:Have you tried stressing it with something like Prime95 (or any over-clocking stability stress tool) and seeing if it turns off.

I'll download this and give it a whirl. I'll let you know what I find.
Just did the Prime95 stress test. PC shut off after 20 minutes. I guess it's overheating. Now, how do I fix it? (and why is the new ps overheating but the old one wasn't?)
Presumably it wasn't tripping on the old PSU? Substitute back and try the stress test again? Maybe the new one is faulty? Your CPU fan hasn't started a go-slow?
im thinking power supply is a dud
Pages: 1 2