NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Model Numbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Can somebody confirm which model I should be looking for.

I have seen reference to 1000, and 1004.

Looking to hardwire, just want to ensure I get the best model

or should I be looking at Popcorn Hour, for HD for the future?

thanks
The MVP is pretty old now. I'd probably be looking at the Popcorn Hour myself.
Sub

I'm not to worried about HD at present as I dont have a HD TV, also the cost of the MVP is around £40, where as the PopCorn is £200.

So from a financil point of view it's a no brainer, question is does the MVP do a good job with SD.
srhutch Wrote:I have seen reference to 1000, and 1004.

Looking to hardwire, just want to ensure I get the best model
The 100X series are the hardwired initial releases
The 1016 has WLAN in addition
The MVP is good if you just need a cheap SD desktop box. The PCH is in a different league though, especially if you have an High Def TV and want to use HD and HDMI (the MVP is SD only and svideo at best). If you really want MVP, the you should be looking for a Rev H4 hard wired only. You are right not to waste your money on the wireless version unless you have a full strength signal or like stutter.

My opinion is that despite the waiting list and a small number of missing features, the PCH is much more future proof, nicer to use and great value. Plus Martin is doing a real nice job of the development and because it's current technology, it will hopefully continue to be enhanced.

One observation though. Perhaps it's just mine, but the remote on the PCH is a bit notchy. I've found that it works much better if you remove the front panel of the case. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the front plastic cover. I've just ordered 2x PCH B-110's to put in some mATX cases I have. It will be interesting to see if the remotes on those are any nicer to use.
I still think the MVP has a snappier response if you only have an SD TV.
With my PCH and HD TV at startup of the TV, the two seem to spend quite a time with HDMI handshaking and often need kicking to work (with a remote keypress) whereas the MVP just seems to work.
There are a couple ov MVP's on ebay both Model 86002, one lists Rev D3A lot 4203.

Hauppage website only lists 86XXX as part numbers so I'm slightly confused.
The D3A is certainly ok but it doesn't have the newer style remote or digital out. There was an update E series and then with the model H's with H4 being current (I think) with RoHS approval.

Even though I would never buy a new MVP again, even from ebay I would never buy a D3 because of hardware problems or the wireless version if you have to pay a premium (for something that isn't worth the aggravation)

I disagree with martin123's comment on the PCH about snappier response. I have a PCH on an SD TV and it is much more responsive than the MVP on the same SD TV. You do get used to the slow responses to the remote and the slower OSD updates on the MVP though and certainly the video media 6-8 seconds faster but is overall they probably even out in time lost in an evening.

Still the MVP gives better integration with GBPVR and if you don't care about downloaded video, digital video, DVD or HD media it is still a bargain. No on can convince me that transoding makes the experience better on the MVP.

Martin
Learning from mistakes made, I would just like to say MVP is not a good option if your capture sources are digital.
I just thought this was worth a mention because I dont think the wiki really expicitley points this out.
Elmo Putney Wrote:Learning from mistakes made, I would just like to say MVP is not a good option if your capture sources are digital.
I just thought this was worth a mention because I dont think the wiki really expicitley points this out.
Do you mean HD? I have two MVPs doing a great job showing the output from Nova-T 500's (freeview)
Pages: 1 2 3 4