NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hd dvd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've been using GBPVR for a while now and love it... I've been itching to do something new to it. HD DVD sounds like a good idea. Obviously I need to buy a HD DVD? I presume I need a HD rendered, decoder? Any suggestions on a good one? Might the DVD drive come with one? Any drive recomendations?

Also, I'm using VGA output from the PC to my 37" 720 TV. I presume this is sufficient for HD DVD? Down the road, when I get digital tv, I intend to purchase a video card with HDMI out.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Don't go with HD DVD. Although I preferred it to Bluray, it's now a dead format. Toshiba abandoned it and there are no more movies being released on HD DVD.

GBPVR will not play HD DVD and Bluray natively with the menus, etc. It will however play the .evo and .m2ts files if you have the proper decoders installed.
You can create an external task to run a 3rd party Blu-Ray player like WinDVD or PowerDVD. You'll have to setup your remote to send keypresses to the 3rd party app, though.

Hardware wise, you need a DVI/HDMI video card that supports HDCP, plus a TV that supports the same.

-Tony
Thanks whurlston. I'll look into the .evo and .m2ts files.

I'll start hunting around for HDMI video cards. My tv doesn't do DVI.

Thanks
pvrproblems Wrote:Thanks whurlston. I'll look into the .evo and .m2ts files.

I'll start hunting around for HDMI video cards. My tv doesn't do DVI.

Thanks

If your video card does dvi, then that's all you need. get a dvi to hdmi cable, and then decide on audio (either analog (rca) or spdif (coax or optical)
AnyDVD HD will nullify the HDCP requirement. I can't stress the need for AnyDVD HD enough when it comes to BD/HD DVD playback. Most BD drives come with for playback but it is limited. I personally recommend the ArcSoft player (TotalMedia Theater... also included with TotalMedia Extreme), but it wouldn't be a bad idea to own both PDVD and TMT/TME. One thing to note is that PDVD 8 does NOT play HD DVDs. TMT has a separate executable with a stipped down UI called uMCEDVDPlayer.exe which is great to launch as a separate task. I will be writing a tutorial in the near future on how to configure your system for playback of .evo and .m2ts files natively in GBPVR.

I also recommend using analog out for BD/HD DVD audio if your HDMI connector does not support multichannel LPCM. Using SPDIF will give you a very inferior sound quality since it does not support the new HD audio formats like TrueHD/DTS-MA.