NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Installation improvements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Many of you may know I am working on and installer for GBPVR and the PCH which will do the following (most are optional) primary for PCH users. The install is tedious and I am hoping to smooth it but it is turning into a big installer. Would you as first time users think the following is too much?

What I am looking at scripting for the first release.

A. Basic install
- download and install GBPVR msi
- download unzip and install VC run time
- download and unzip survivor guide patches
- download and unzip my favourite patches

B. PCH customization
- make config.xml changes for PCH
- create mvpmc share
- download and install mvpmcx2
- create pch install script
- configure recording service to interact with desktop

C. Skin and plugins

- download unzip and run Music plugin installer
- download unzip and run Mayhem 3 skin installer

Martin
Is this mainly geared towards new GBPVR users who have come across form the nmt forums?

As I would assume a "normal" gbpvr user would have their system all up and running before adding a pch.
I know this would have helped me out if it was available when I did my first install. Not to mention the time you would have saved helping me out Smile
It is definitiley meant for NMT users who have never installed GBPVR, or may never even heard of it. My goal is to go from zero to NMT in under fifteen minutes with one or two support emails. I expect longer on older XP systems that need .NET, WMP updates etc.

psycik if you are curious the reason I have the Mayhem3 skin with the Music plugin I am trying to attract xbmc users who want better audio than the PCH. Once they are installed they can investigate ML2, CS3 etc. I would have implemented ML2/3 if you had moved to implement cover art during audio play the way ACTCMS with MLPANEL or last.fm integration.

Martin
No I assumed it was because Music Plugin was being worked on more than ML2/ML3.

What are the differences re: I would have implemented ML2/3 if you had moved to implement cover art during audio play the way ACTCMS with MLPANEL or last.fm integration. that you are thinking of?

ML2 and now 3 has had last.fm integrattion for a couple of years now. But not sure what your "cover art during audio play" is - is that that image thing I played with quickly with you one evening but never finished?
It's a good thing we have you on our side Martin. This is bleeping brilliant...

I would like to see a way for the GB-PVR portion to still be available to non pch users too, as just installing has been a support issue (for some)

But this is really really cool...
psycik Wrote:ML2 and now 3 has had last.fm integrattion for a couple of years now. But not sure what your "cover art during audio play" is - is that that image thing I played with quickly with you one evening but never finished?

These are sort of tied. In the August firm Syabas provided a sync option that allowed me to tell GBPVR what song is active, and I mentioned a change was available. This would allow you to tell last.fm what song from the playlist is available since as you told me it doesn't work from the PCH.

The cover art option expands on this (yes as we discussed) and allows you to create an jpg/png which mvpmcx2 displays with the current song. ACTCMS has coded it into MLPanel (early demo here http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_hK-eB0uOlE ) but it is useful when the stong title or art don't change with the song, and the screen goes black without yours or sub's pieces.

Just so you know I think ML2/3 and Music are complementary, you have a great track based jukebox and Music has a album based jukebox.

@zehd there should be no reason for a GBPVR or MVP user to try this. You select the components you want on the first screen The source to ths NSIS installer will also be available so people can add there own modules, they are trivial with NSIS.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:These are sort of tied. In the August firm Syabas provided a sync option that allowed me to tell GBPVR what song is active, and I mentioned a change was available. This would allow you to tell last.fm what song from the playlist is available since as you told me it doesn't work from the PCH.

ahh ok, yeah that would be required. So this sync option is now provided? Do i have to do anything to enabled this on my pch installation so i could test the functionality - or does the plugin just receive the regular IEventNotification that the track has changed?

mvallevand Wrote:The cover art option expands on this (yes as we discussed) and allows you to create an jpg/png which mvpmcx2 displays with the current song. ACTCMS has coded it into MLPanel (early demo here http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_hK-eB0uOlE ) but it is useful when the stong title or art don't change with the song, and the screen goes black without yours or sub's pieces.

I'll be able to revisit this at a later point.

mvallevand Wrote:Just so you know I think ML2/3 and Music are complementary, you have a great track based jukebox and Music has a album based jukebox.

So do I, at one point there were 5 music players all doing different things, so it will be interesting to see where Music plugin goes. Maybe there will be some common portions that we can share on later - common dbs, tag readers etc, as keeping these separate are probably not a good idea since they both use similar libraries.
psycik Wrote:ahh ok, yeah that would be required. So this sync option is now provided? Do i have to do anything to enabled this on my pch installation so i could test the functionality - or does the plugin just receive the regular IEventNotification that the track has changed?

The option is there if mvpmcx2 is older than July The options is --em-sync

At end of file or if user presses Next GBPVR will see a skip, if user presses prev you will get a Replay.

Quote:So do I, at one point there were 5 music players all doing different things, so it will be interesting to see where Music plugin goes. Maybe there will be some common portions that we can share on later - common dbs, tag readers etc, as keeping these separate are probably not a good idea since they both use similar libraries.

Agreed I feel the same for Web Radio which even shares the same name and which is why I asked Ubu for the source to at least differentiate it to Ubu. I would somehow like to merge these, maybe even using your last.fm code with web radio. The using AWS I will fetch album art with web radio and I will be really pleased.

Martin
I've already got a AWS album art downloader as part of AudioCD (and that was taken from some basic ML2 code).

Last.fm stuff isn't public, but I guess could be.

I'll see what gets added to the "Why So Many Common Libraries" and maybe the Last.Fm integration can go in there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12